3G S Pixels/Dust Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Jun 19, 2009.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Please post your experience with the new 3G S for the following:

1. Any dead or stuck pixels?
    2. Any dust stuck under the glass?

Thanks

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No dust under the screen, but definitely dust under my screen protector :mad::mad:

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds good, what about pixel issues?

The purpose of this thread is that I'm wondering if the 3G S is improved compared to the 3G regarding those things in my first post.

4. Seraphx17 macrumors member

Mine is absolutely perfect (which is quite relieving as my 3G on launch last year had several specks of annoying dust under the screen).

5. nomad421 macrumors member

Mine has a single spec of dust/dirt about 2/3 of the way from the bottom and smack dab in the middle of the screen (horizontally). At first I thought this was a dead pixel, but then I noticed it was still noticeable when the screen was off and it casts a shadow on the LCD screen (meaning it's likely stuck to the bottom of the glass faceplate). What action should I take on this? The AT&T store is *obviously* sold out of stock. Should I just wait until they get more and then do an exchange, or should I set up a genius bar appt. at my local apple store?

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just go back to where ever you bought the 3G S. If it's AT&T and they give you a hard time, then go to Apple. Anyway, I have a few dead pixels as well. I don't notice most of them except this one that is smack dab in the middle. I'll be calling Apple either tomorrow morning or Monday to see if I can get this exchanged soon.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would just go straight to Apple and see what they can do, AT&T is probably just going to give you a lot of hassle about it. Apple wants you to be happy.

8. diabolic macrumors 68000

9. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting results so far. This type of thread usually takes on a very negative tone, not the case here this far. Does this mean Apple improved their quality control for this new model? Maybe the screen is supplied by a different company than the 3G?

10. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Is this visible to the naked eye or are you using one of these [​IMG] LOL:eek::p:D

11. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

In the event that you are being serious, I am talking about with the naked eye.

I have to say there is a curious lack of posts in this thread, yet in another thread asking about who has a perfect 3G S, there are MANY replies. This all seems to point at the new model having better quality control than the 3G. My hunch is that they went with a new supplier for the screen.

Let me give you some reasoning behind this theory. I have owned approximately 10 different devices manufactured by HTC. Not a single one of them ever had any dust under the screen or dead/stuck pixels. Contrast that with every iPhone I have personally ever used. In fact at launch last year I went through so many in one Apple store that I ultimately gave up and didn't purchase one. Even my current iPhone, a 1st generation model that I bought on Craigs List brand new, has 1 stuck pixel but no dust.

My point is that with the apparent lack of screen complaints something must have changed. It must be a new screen supplier. Either that or people just aren't complaining about these issues (unlikely).

So please continue to post your experiences in this thread.

12. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I have single stuck pixels. I'm going to see if I can get it exchange!

13. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I just found two stuck pixels last night. I'll probably wait a while before I exchange it, they're barely noticeable, plus my Apple Store is about an hour away.