3G S sent with wrong area code

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katalysis, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Katalysis macrumors member

I ordered a 3G S from the apple store online, and got my shipment notification today. I did not port over my old number because I am a first time AT&T customer, and the prior user of my old number is apparently some sort of deadbeat, as I am getting collection agency calls for her all the time.

Anyway, my shipment notification lists my new number, and it's in a totally wrong area code. I live in the midwest, so this isn't a vanity area code situation: it's literally two hundred miles away from where I live.

Has anyone else had this problem? I called AT&T, who say I will have to set the phone up and then call Apple or take it in. I'm sure this will be a huge pain to do on launch day. Anyone know of a way I can take care of this earlier? I called Apple, but they put me on hold for 15 minutes so I hung up.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I had AT&T change the area code on 3 numbers on our family plan (150 mile difference). They didn't mind, however they could have charged ~$40 per phone I believe.

3. Katalysis thread starter macrumors member

They told me it would be free, and it damn well better. My home, shipping, and business address were all in the same city, nowhere near what they gave me. Maybe they based it off my old number?

I was all excited to get my 3G S on Friday, and now I've got to mess around with this instead of playing with it.

4. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Be sure you aren't in an overlay Area Code. I know my home is getting an overlay area code instead of splitting the area into two areas. After a certain date, all new numbers will be given a new area code. Since most people use cell phones, they figured most people dial ten digits anyway, so no sense in giving have the area a new phone number.

It may not apply to you though....

5. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Perhaps they want you to move? This may only be the beginning. They may buy you a new home and offer you a job. ;)

6. Katalysis thread starter macrumors member

I didn't think it would be, but I checked anyway, and it's not. They gave me a Chicago suburbs number when I live in Peoria. If I didn't have to use it for work, I wouldn't care, but I don't want my clients to have to call a non-local number. It's just so strange because all the addresses I gave are in Peoria.

7. Katalysis thread starter macrumors member

So, when I get the phone, what should I do? Take it into AT&T and have them change it and activate it? Activate it and call Apple to change it?

Anybody know? Just trying to have minimal headaches with this situation.

8. JusChexin macrumors member

I'm almost going through the same situation you are, Katalysis. I ordered the phone and I'm now living in FL for school but my old phone with verizon is from my permanent address in NY. I asked for a new FL area code number, but in retrospect I wish I had asked for a NY area code, b/c I'm going to be porting over my NY number when my contract with Verizon runs out in a few weeks. I don't want any headaches, but I know I made things overcomplicated. I may just return the phone until I can port my VZW number, but wouldn't mind trying out ATT first. I have no idea what to do. Let me know what you decide and how it goes. Good luck! :)