3G S: Toggling Bluetooth and WIFI easier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by titaniummd, Jun 14, 2009.

1. titaniummd macrumors member

One gripe I have about the iPhone 3G is that I have to go to settings to toggle WIFI and Bluetooth. So, I just keep Bluetooth on but keep WIFI off, as a default. I read that there were no apps that toggle these settings for the 3G, but will there be something for the 3G S?

2. paulold macrumors 6502

Hey Apple Developers... How's this for a simple solution... If you want to turn WiFi on/off, turn on/off Airplane Mode, etc, simply press and hold the symbol next to the AT&T bars at the top of the screen. This could pop up a few choices. Why bury these commonly used functions in the Settings screens? Just a thought...

3. chagle macrumors newbie

Agreed! I did JB my iPhone and had easy toggles to do this.. but I have now vanilla software again and turning these options off - IS A PAIN! :-(

4. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

This is exactly what I thought would be integrated at some point. It's so intuitive.

5. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I wish Apple copied Android just a little, and let your "pull-down" the menu bar to reveal a quick settings drawer. 3G, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, Wifi.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It's a great idea but unfortunately impossible for any app that uses the official SDK (ie goes in the app store and can be installed on a non jailbroken phone) to access that part of the phone...

7. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

He said Apple Developers, as in, the people who write the iPhone OS.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You're right - sorry - ignore my last comment then ;)

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I would kill for some custom shortcuts or customizable menu's

turning 3G on and off is annoying, but you get use to it fast

10. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I turn wifi on and off about 20 times a day. Will it really kill the battery that much? Should I just leave it on?

11. The General macrumors 601

I pretty much never turn wifi off. Why would I? And bluetooth? Always off.

12. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I turn wifi on/off frequently as well and agree that it's a pain in the butt.

13. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

If you're connecting to that many networks each day, I'd just leave it on. Try it for yourself and see if it has makes a difference in battery. It may make a difference, but you have to ask yourself it that difference is better or worse then navigating the menus 20x a day!

I connect to my home network sometimes (maybe 2-3 times a week) and my network at work occasionally (maybe once every 2 weeks), so I leave it off by default.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

WiFi turns off automatically when the phone locks / goes to sleep so I don't know how much power you would save by turning it on and off all the time

15. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I dont use bluetooth but i do have my wifi on always. I only use it when im at home so i have it not search for wifi hotspot. My battery is fine. When i turn my phone it shows my wifi off then when i click anything it clicks on.

16. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Why do you turn it on/off so much?

My WiFi is ALWAYS on, even when I'm out around town and just using 3G. I don't really see a point in it, I still get good battery life.

17. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

What's the name of the JB app? I've been meaning to get this for ages.

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

That's quite feasible since Apple Developers (as myself) are not allowed to access or use those features.

19. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Well I was doing it because I thought it would save battery life. I won't be doing that anymore. :D