3G Schmeegy... is there anything else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raymondu999, Jun 12, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey guys. Is it just me, or is it that other than the iPhone 3G's... well, 3G, there is really nothing else? Like, I mean, comparing an iPhone 3G against an iPhone with 2.0 software, is there anything else to look out for?

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Is there anything that makes broadband better than dial-up other than the faster load speeds? It takes you to the same freaking Internet, AMIRIGHT!?

And uh, yes, GPS.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

...and supposed hardware improvements with things like speaker volume and call quality though the latter may just be because of the jump to 3G.

4. kdog1176 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Does'nt 3g also provide data and voice capability at the same time?

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

True.

6. kyen1 macrumors member

Besides 3G and GPS...not a whole lot else it would seem. But those are two pretty big things...and this will be the first iPhone for many people.

I know many of us would have liked a better camera (including me as I use it a lot) but it won't stop me from buying the iPhone 3G.

Other small annoyances include the new tapered back design. I can see this thing wobbling all over the place...but whatcha gonna do. It is what it is. End of the day, it's the amazing touch interface that works, gorgeous screen and great apps which win me over.

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

3G, GPS, better battery life, better speaker sound-quality, better cell reception, MUCH cheaper up-front price. Not a bad evolutionary update, especially when coupled with iPhone OS 2.0.

8. rolex54 macrumors 6502

yeah it takes you to the same internet, but one wastes your time and causes you to use it much less because it takes so much time...

9. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

If you've never used 3G before then I can understand you making this statement. But EDGE blows in so many ways. For those of us who use the web extensively on our smart phones and have used 3G for years, the original iPhone was just embarresingly slow, not to mention calls going straight to voicemail because you're using the web.

Was the release - with regard to hardware upgrades - a bit underwhelming, yes. But 3G really is a big difference.

10. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Like, you know....like umm. Do you speak like you type?

11. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well... I speak kinda like that...:D

@benmrii - O contraire... In fact, I live in Asia, where HSDPA, or 7.2Mbps 3.5G is widely available, and has been, for like... over half a year... Hence, my other phone (please don't flame me for saying this here), the HTC TyTN II, has 7.2Mbps... The iPhone's 3G chip only can do 3.6Mbps HSDPA. And so, well... you get what I mean.

12. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (PPC; 240x320; HTC_TyTN/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7))

No need to get personal, he was asking a decent question....I think the updates (3g, gps) open up the iPhone to a whole host of possibilities now, I for one, can't wait.

13. ayale99 macrumors 6502

My iphone will close my browser and notify me when a call comes in. Doesn't yours?

14. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I did too until recently. Where for you?

But, my point is, you started by comparing the lackluster update from EDGE to 3G and now you're comparing 3G to 3.5G. I'm saying going from EDGE to 3G is very significant. Yes, the US carriers are pathetic, yes 3G is years old, but it's still a major upgrade from 3G.

15. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That only happens if you are reading/viewing a completed page. If the page is being actively downloaded they get your voicemail. And on EDGE, that could be a full minute or two every new page you are bringing up. :rolleyes:

16. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

One of the big things for me is the app store. I could have really cared less for the gps, yes it will be nice to have, but I think the 3rd party apps will open up a whole new realm....hopefully

17. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The specific frustration, though, is that the App Store/2.0 firmware will be available to iPhone 1.0 users as well. In other words, the software upgrades were awesome and very significant, but the hardware upgrade... not so much.

I agree, the hardware upgrades weren't near as significant as they should have been, or at the very least, could have been.

18. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

@benmrii - Singapore and Indonesia. I go back and forth alot. Sorry my two posts seemed incongruent, but what I meant was... well...I mean.. they introduced a technology that's been around for a year, and slap in GPS, which has gone into some high-end phones for just about a year... then they call it innovation. I mean, nothing else is changed, except for the tapered edges and the design. iPhone 2.0 will also be available for the first iPhone.

19. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I agree, except that 3G has actually been around and in higher-end smartphones for over 5 years. I've said for a year now that 3G should have been in the first iPhone and Apple should be embarrassed that it wasn't.

If I misread what you were saying, or the angle you were approaching it in, I apologize if I seemed argumentative. 3G is being added a year too late, overall the hardware upgrades are underwhelming, on that we agree. I'm just saying that 3G is still phenomenally better than EDGE.

20. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well yeah... 3G has been around for 5 years, but iPhone 3G has 3.6Mbps HSDPA, so I was refering to that.

21. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

come to think of it besides a better engine, different body, different transmision, different interior and exterior, different wheels and tires a porsche is just like a honda hmmm,:confused:

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the camera could have been upgraded to 3.1 mpx so easily.

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's all about preference and availability, I sure as heck don't want to move to Asia, for a faster HSDPA, or 7.2Mbps 3.5G network and give up my waterfront home, friends and family, when I can enjoy 3G which I would be perfectly happy with; someone will always build bigger, better and faster, but that's ok with me. You can have it! :eek:

24. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

@chakraj - If iPhone 1 were a Honda, the iPhone 3G was a Honda with digital radio, and also GPS navigation(literally). No new engine, nada. Newer body kit and newer colors. Nothing else.

25. shecky Guest

shecky

new iphone also supposedly has better reception, due to both the 3G service and the plastic back of the new phone.