3G Screen has low Refresh Rate

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Arkanok, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Hey everyone, I damaged my iPhone 3G and needed a replacement, which I did, and so now that I've been getting the replacement phone restored and everything, I noticed something: the screen is different, but not in a good way. I noticed that the refresh rate seems to be MUCH lower than the previous one, and I compared it to my friend's phone and his is much better. On my new one, the refresh rate is so low that it's noticable and it causes the screen to look less, I dunno, solid.

Is there any way to fix this? Is this something that's normal or is the screen possibly defective? Oh, and something else that I noticed that may or may not be related is that the glass itself seems to have the anti-smudge coating on it like that of the 3Gs's screen.

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Where do you notice the decrease in refresh rate?
    Is there any way you could show this on a video or something? I can't imagine it being different as the replacement screens they use are the same.
    Even the copies I can get from China show no difference in refresh rate but if they do it clearly isn't noticeable.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I can try to make a video of it but I'm not sure if a video camera will pick it up like the human eye does. I'll record a video tonight when I can get my hands on another iPhone to do a side-by-side comparison with.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok well I tried to take a video of the problem and the video camera sadly doesn't pick up the problem like my eyes do, but I can assure you that it is annoying. My friend took a look at it too and noticed it instantly, and compared to his own which doesn't have the problem.

Basically, to describe it a little better, what's happening is that when you look at the screen, you can see faint horizontal lines across the screen from top to bottom. It's not terribly strong but it's noticable enough to be REALLY annoying. Again, I've had an iPhone before (this is a replacement) so I know that I've never seen this happen before on any of my previous iPhones or even on anyone else's.

Any thoughts?

5. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Did you replace the screen yourself or was it a refurb from Apple?
    If it was a refurb I'd just take it back if its quite clearly not right.

If you replaced it yourself I would open it back up again and disconnect then reconnect the LCD connector. Try again. If this doesn't help I'd contact the place you got it from and ask for a replacement due to it not working correctly. It's not damaged so it sounds like a manufacturing fault. Should be replacable.

6. Benjirou macrumors newbie

Hi, i have the same problem. It is also my replacement iPhone. Anyone else having the same problem?