3G signal active on "raw" restore - gone after backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JagoFletch, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JagoFletch macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have had a good look on here and Google for a solution to this problem but no luck!

I have recently bought an iPhone 4, it isn't jailbroken and hasn't had a carrier unlock. I restored it as a new phone over iTunes and noticed that I had full signal, 3G was on and everything looked normal. However, after restoring from a previous iPhone 4 backup (also not jailbroken) from last week I have lost 3G signal.
    My carrier (3 UK) can't help either.

The previous iPhone backup was from a phone using iOS 6.0, the restore was done using 6.0.1

Thanks for your help :)

2. iphone46 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, you will have to start over because the backup is corrupt. If you have a backup before that, you may be able to use that. I had a very similar issue with my VZ iPhone4 when I got it where I was constantly getting cellular data errors(I was screwed because iCloud did not exist at the time and I only backed up once in a blue moon) and had to start over several times.

3. JagoFletch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I'm all out of backups from before the corrupted one.
    I've had a good look online and the problem could be to do with the APN still being set to Vodafone (my previous network provider). There doesn't seem to be a way to change the APN settings in iOS 6 though. If only I hadn't updated the firmware! Downgrading to 5.x for a JB may have solved the issue.
    I don't want to lose my text messages but that's all I'm worried about losing after a fresh start.
    Is there any way to transfer texts from an old backup onto a new, stock firmware?

4. JagoFletch thread starter macrumors newbie

*SOLVED*

For these specific problems the solution was to go to

Settings> General> Reset> Reset All Settings

Then wait 5 minutes.

I was only trying "Reset Network Settings" before. Hope this helps someone else. Cheers for the help.