3G...... So What?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfilm, Jun 4, 2008.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

All I've heard since the second the iPhone came out last year is 3G 3G 3G 3G 3G 3G but what's the big deal? Why is everyone sooo desperate to get 3G on an iPhone?

The iPhone is, what, 2.5G already. Is the extra 0.5 gonna makes such a huge difference.

Fill me in here, am I missing something

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I presume you're an American. 3G is required for it to sell outside the US.

4. sananda macrumors 68020

and there isn't much EDGE around these parts so the 2.75G of iphone only really counts as 2G.

5. rayward macrumors 65816

I think 3G is just the catch-all for iPhone 2.0. It should contain a whole range of upgrades/additions, which have everyone jazzed, in addition to the 3G capability.

For me, the real interest is in greater capacity, native/third-party apps and enterprise software. 3G, GPS etc. is just icing on the cake.

6. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Voice codec is much better on 3G as well. One of the things I notice when i'm in a 3G area with my Razr

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

A) Second iPhone? (EDIT: Sorry read it wrong...didn't see "the" second)

2) 3G is a good bit faster...especially when you're loading full web pages.

D) We're looking at possibily GPS and other features too, so it isn't just 3G everyone is stoked about.

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Here's another deep question....

Why is the Pope Catholic? Beats me :D

I am getting tired of iPhone hype though.

9. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

What about the GSM Buzz?

The current iPhone gets that awful "GSM Buzz" that drives me crazy. You know that buzzing sound when your iPhone transmits anywhere near a speaker of any kind!

Will the new 3G phone still have that buzz problem? Does anyone know?

10. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

OK cool, seems people have different kinds of opinions on the subject. Don't get me wrong, 3G on an iPhone will obviously only make it better it just seems that theres so much hype over that one feature.

Looking forward to the next gen iPhone nonetheless, just be glad when people will stop going on about it lol. :cool:

11. MWillis561 macrumors member

MWillis561

Yes it will. My old phone (that had 3g) created that buzz all the time. In my car it was kind-of like a prewarning system when someone would call. My speaker would buzz before it would even ring. We should feel grateful for how little it does buzz. If you have a Nextel phone place a call in the same room as a speaker and it gets pretty loud. My wife is on Nextel and it bugs the heck out of me. It ruins whatever your listening too.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yes. It'll still have a GSM radio.

13. greenrabbit macrumors newbie

greenrabbit

there are a bunch of benefits with 3G:

1. Speed, 3G HSDPA will allow 2-3 mbit/s in good conditions (7.2 mbit/s in theory) compared to 0.2 mbit/s for EDGE.

2. Ability to use data while talking on the phone (not possible with 2G).

3. Video telephony (however this have not been very successfull so far although most 3G phones have supported this for the last 4 or so years in Europe).

4. The buzz noice in speakers on incoming calls/sms does not appear with 3G frequenses (at least not the ones used in Europe).

5. Slightly better audio quality.

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

That one little feature is HUGE, for people who live in good 3G areas. Going from what, twice the speed of dialup to broadband speeds? Browsing the web at 3G is 16 times faster than browsing it on Edge. I've got a 3G phone, and compared to that browsing on Edge is excrutiating.

15. agentsmithone macrumors member

And WiFi is way faster than either!

16. agentsmithone macrumors member

let's not forget cellular TV as a possibility with 3G...you can be enslaved by television on the go!

17. sananda macrumors 68020

try browsing on GPRS! which is what i get when using iphone.

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Many people are referring to 'iPhone v2.0' as 'The 3G iPhone.' It's an all encompassing nomenclature that covers many other upgrades as well.

That being said, 3G is significantly faster than 2.5G; especially if it has the protocol that Australia uses where they are speculating 42MB/S.

19. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) 3G has speeds of 14.4 Mbps versus the maximum 473.6 Kbps for EDGE.

2) The ability to use Cellular Data and make calls simultaneously.

3) More International compatability.

4) Different frequencies (2100/1800/1700 MHz for Europe and Asia, 1900/850 MHz for the US, the 850 is what usually causes interference on Radios and Speakers with GSM systems).

TEG

20. agentsmithone macrumors member

I think this number is suppose to be "up to 42mbps" (megabits, not megabytes) 42mbps = ~5.2MB/s

21. kleo macrumors regular

Have you ever noticed how when you are surfing the web with your iPhone over WiFi that there is still a major lag because the iPhone needs to render the pages. Its just plain slow before you can touch and scroll pages, 3G wont fix this. So we are looking at a performance BOOST, in reality, that puts you somewhere between the current EDGE and WiFi, not stunning. Sorry but 3G isnt a must have here in the US. I would be happy with a slimmer EDGE phone with GPS.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It is a HUGE DEAL for me because I want to be able to see web-sites without waiting 5 minutes for them to load on Edge

I use my phone a lot during the day and even during down-time I like to browse if not near a computer with no wifi (such as at work)

23. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

And not nearly as widespread in Europe.

24. zmit macrumors regular

and 3G is no where near as widespread in Australia...... or WiFi....

3G is in EVERY capital city EXCEPT the one i am in!

25. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan