3G speeds and dropped calls in NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by varchar, Sep 3, 2008.

1. varchar macrumors member

This is probably a duplicate thread in some way or fashion, as I know most people are having this problem...

Anyhow, I am in the NYC region (Manhattan, bklyn). Basically, every 3rd call I get dropped.... its terrible... most times I get 1 bar and then jumps to full bars and then back to one bar.

The "3g" speed is argh!!!!!!!!!!!! not 3g at all... most times I can NOT even connect to the internet (including email).

Anyone in my region experience the same issues? Any suggestions on fixing?

Sometimes I turn off and on the "airplane mode" and that sometimes helps.. but maybe it is coincidence... lol...

(interesting enough, I have another att phone and connection is fine)....

2. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I am in NYC too. I don't have any problems making or receiving calls. Especially, when I am just on Edge (but even when I turn on 3G). However, I agree that 3G speeds are terrible. Sometimes, late at night or early in the morning, they are blazing fast, but during the day it's awful. I'd imagine this is because there just aren't a lot of users during those times?

If you're really having problems making or receiving calls, I'd recommend turning off 3G for a while to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I would take it to an AT&T store and see if they can give you another SIM card. I've heard that sometimes that really helps. If that still doesn't fix the problem, I would take it to an Apple store genius bar, because maybe you have a defective phone.

That being said, if the main problem is just the 3G speeds, well then welcome to the club. Everyone in NYC has that problem and that seems more like an issue with AT&T and not the phone itself.

Hope that helps!

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I also live in NYC and had trouble with dropped calls and slow or non-existant data speeds. I took my phone to the genius bar where a diagnostic showed 22% of my calls were dropped and the genius issued a replacement based on that. I didn't experience so many dropped calls after that but data speeds were still slow and I hardly ever experienced anything remotely 3G.

I went back to the genius bar and he called AT&T for me--talk about serivce! We were on hold a looooooong time but the genius had an AT&T technician turn off the 3G service on my account and switch it back on. Now I get great 3G speeds in Manhattan and Brooklyn about half the time. Still not where they should be--but good enough that I'll wait for software update in September. I left NYC for a day and in White Plains the 3G speeds are faster than my home wifi--amazing when it works.

It was a pain to get AT&T to switch the 3G service off and on and I don't they would have done it without the Apple genius explaining it to them.