3G Speeds Very Slow in New Jersey

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, May 20, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Has anyone in or around noticed that AT&T is getting worse. I get more dropped calls, fewer spots where my 3G is good, and this only changed in the last month or two. I have no idea what they are doing but I wish they would stop, because if it were not for Wifi at work and home, I would not be able to deal with AT&T anymore.

I just ran a test with 4 Bars in 3G I get the following

Download 250 kbps
    Upload 5 kbps

This is getting stupid crazy and I am not happy.:eek:

Wicked1

2. ZenoVT macrumors regular

Try:
    Download 38 Kbits/s
    Upload 50 Kbits/s
    Latency 2142 ms

Manhattan, NY

3. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

My speed/connection is fine where I am on long island.. but I was in the city yesterday and it was terrible - worse than its ever been.

4. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

I'm in Chicago and it's all about peak times. The speeds I get during off peak times are absolutely amazing. However, during peak times it's ungodly slow and even if it is fast, the real killer is the ping time. I really don't understand how there can be such a drastic drop off.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I lost 3G last night in the DC area, but today it’s faster than it’s ever been (around 1800 Kb/s).

6. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I work in Jersey City, and when I get to work, I automatically turn my 3G off and put on to EDGE, otherwise my phone doesn't work. NY is very weird too, where I live in Great Neck Long Island, I have no problems at all, the next town over, Little Neck Queens, I get no reception at all, lol. If the next iPhone came to Verizon, I'd dump AT&T in a heartbeat. AT&T isn't the worst, in fact, I hear it's better than Verizon in some areas of the US, but AT&T is legendarilly bad in NY and San Francisco (and LA I hear is bad too).

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

The ppl who have the iPhone where my wife works in Jersey City near the water say they do not even get reception in their building, they have to go down and outside the building.

I wonder why NYC is so bad other then the big buildings, there is so much infrastructure there, it should be one of the best spots, maybe AT&T needs to put up a lot of Hot Spots for AT&T customers only :rolleyes:

8. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to get an iphone and am moving to morristown, nj in the next few weeks. Should I even bother getting one or hold off till things improve??

ATT is so strange, it seems that some people love it, and some hate it. I am so uncertain what to do.

9. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Westfield, NJ:

Download: 1909 kbps.
    Upload: 160 kbps

Lately, there have been short periods of time where while I have a full 3G signal, I cannot connect to the internet. pages load for several minutes, then I get an error. It might be just because I jailbroke my phone recently. Either way, i still think jailbreaking is worth it.

10. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

FWIW, my 3G is fine. I live in Howell, and my Fiance' lives in Seaside Heights

EDIT:

where can i do the speed test? i'll post some results

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Speedtest.net

12. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I live in Westville, NJ, deep south Jersey and no problems in NJ.

I was told that NJ has the most towers.

Marc

14. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Well those posts sound convincing. I wish that I could just try the iPhone for a few days before I make my decision, but I don't think thats possible. Couple more weeks of waiting them I am on board :)

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

live in queens and work in manhattan. most times my DL speeds are 2.8 mbps or so. will be higher on the weekends. so far the only place with no AT&T signal i've seen is the inside of LIJ hospital on Community Drive.

just ran a test at 700 kbps from inside a former factory building with very thick walls. and i usually get no bars in elevators, no big deal

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If you're thinking of switching to AT&T from another carrier, you can try the service and the phone out for 30 days. Just don't port your number over until you're sure that the coverage is good enough.

17. Ricky14 macrumors newbie

I think may be some server problem is there in your area. Complain it they might solve early so that they may not lose you as a client.

18. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I just left Vegas and put it this way, I had to switch to edge just to use data on my phone that's how slow 3g was there. Edge was faster than 3g lol

19. Corsig macrumors member

I live in Bergen County NJ. I'm almost 99% on 2G when I go on 3G its slow as heck most of the time

20. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Hmm thats interesting, I didn't know that you could do that. Is it possible to port the number over after you start the contract?

21. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

22. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Absolutely. You can port your number over at any time. That's what I recommend you do if you're not sure if the coverage in your area is going to be adequate. Give yourself the 30 days or whatever to make sure everything is ok. If so, go ahead and port. If not, just cancel before the 30 days are up and pay whatever the 1st month's fees are.