3G speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carson44, Jul 24, 2008.

1. carson44 macrumors member

So im looking to buy the 3g iphone soon, one question tho are the 3g speeds really that good as all the ads show? And if your city is getting 3g soon will it be faster cuz its new? just curious thanks

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

No its depressingly slow. I'm not kidding. I barely get faster than edge speeds. I'm hoping its because they're overloaded from all the new devices but its not good.

I should say: This is Seattle. Definitely 3g, definitely faster than edge but just slower than my other 3g phones. 500kbps or so.

HOWEVER, in Hawaii (Oahu) where I am now, its very very fast, 1.3mbps was the result of my last test. Its a Seattle problem, not an iphone problem.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I live in a suburb of Atlanta and the 3G speeds are definitely faster than EDGE.

It isn't faster than WiFi though.

4. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I ran some speed tests today while in my car. I averaged 1.2 mbps after 3 or 4 tests. Not bad. My WM6 phone usually got about 1.5 mbps for comparision purposes.

5. izibo macrumors 6502

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I just ran a speed test and I got a .86mbp/s connection over 3G and a .17mbp/s connection over EDGE. I think that speaks for itself :).

7. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I live in South Florida along with 6 million other people and 3G speeds are great. They are definitely not as fast as WiFi but browsing on the go is absolutely no problem now. It was with EDGE for sure.

8. A-G macrumors newbie

they COULD be. it all depends on things like; weather, time, area, and the company (att). right now i personally thins ATT is lacking. their service might be someday be as good as they say. 3G is such a delicate and weird service. you could be inside with 3 bars and get 1.5+mbps then step outside with 5 bars and get .5mbps. so i say buy the phone try it out, if your not satisfied then return it. but i'm like deannnn i also live in south Florida and i'm pretty satisfied with my reception/speed. i usually get 1.2+mbps.

edit: i just did 3 tests. first time i got .5mbps. second time i got 1.01mbps. third time i got 1.02mps. earlier today i got 1.7 in the same spot. so i hope you get my point.