3G stick for new MBA?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dhumphrey, Jun 26, 2012.

1. dhumphrey macrumors newbie

I just bought my new 11" MBA, only to discover that my 3G stick (web 'n' walk Fusion III from the German Telekom) doesn't work with it. The Telekom could only confirm the incompatibility and the fact that they currently have no product that works. I assume that my stick isn't compatible with USB 3.0, but I thought the port was reverse compatible with "older" USB devices.

This sucks because I pay €20 per month to use this stick and can't cancel until my 2-year contract runs out!

Can anyone recommend a USB stick for 3G that works with the MBA's USB 3.0 port?

Thanks! David

2. ray648 macrumors regular

usb 3 is backwards compatible so that shouldn't be the problem. Did you have this stick working with a previous mac or are you coming from windows?

3. Ericvic macrumors newbie

I know that USB3 is suppose to be backwards compatible with USB2 but that is not always the case. I have a barcode scanner that will not work correctly in a USB3 port but works fine in a USB2 port. Don't know if that is the problem with your 3G stick.

4. dhumphrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the same stick worked on my old Air with USB 2.0 and it also works on my office iMac, so the problem isn't the stick, it's the supposed backward compatibility of USB.

In any case, I'm still looking for a UBS3.0 stick that i can use my card in.

5. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I tend to prefer the MiFi devices as they don't need to be plugged into the USB port (other than charging) with the added benefit of being shared by other people if you want to give them access

6. Damian. macrumors regular

I also prefer this. You don't have to install any drivers or software either.

7. xchaotic macrumors member

You may not be too happy about it, but buying a mifi is probably the best solution for you...