3g Stoopid Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kdawg, Jun 17, 2008.

1. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

So I have been quite adamant that a 3G iphone would be incompatible with t-mobiles US 3G roll out because t-mobile is on a funky frequency for 3G. However, the more I have thought about it, the more I have wondered if it would be possible to reprogram the baseband of the phone to use the right frequency (kind of like changing radio stations on a radio receiver… I assume frequency is software based and not embedded on the chip)

I currently have an unlocked iphone on t-mobile and wouldn’t mid eventually upgrading to version 2.0. However, I think it dumb to get the phone if I cannot use the 3g. I would never go with ATT so, please don’t tell me to “just switch companies”. T-mobile has done quite a few things to keep me as a loyal customer, like calling me to tell me I was going to have a $700.00 phone bill and asking if I wanted to upgrade my plan to unlimited and back dating it to avoid the bill all together. Plus ATT gives quite a bit of money to the GOP. I despise them a tad more than the other party I despise.

What are your thoughts on being able to make the phone run on t-mobiles funky spectrum?

2. Orion126 macrumors regular

Graaaaavedig!

But I'm curious as well. Any thoughts? I'm sure if it was simple it would've been done but could Apple unlock it once the exclusivity ends in the US?