3G stuck at apple logo after reset - doesn't react to anything

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Etnoir, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Etnoir macrumors newbie

Hi there,

my trusty old 3G started acting strangely so I thought I give it a reset and start fresh. So I reset it, erasing all data and contents. The process seemed to go as planned, but now I'm stuck with my phone showing just the apple logo,, nothing else.

The phone is not recognized by any of my machines, my ipod is, so USB ports, iTunes and the MobileDevice service are probably fine.

None of the buttons on the phone seem to do anything - I can't switch it off with the top right power button, not by pressing or holding it, it doesn't react to any other button or combination of buttons. None of the usual tricks work - holding home and power for 10 seconds than keep holding home - nothing.

I tried with the phone disconnected from everything, tried connecting to the pc, to power supply, no change.

Also tried the tips to hold buttons and than connect the usb, I think I pretty much covered any combination and solution I could find or think of, now I'm more or less out of options :/

Any suggestions, someone with similar issues?

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I know you have probably already tried this, but connect your iPhone to your computer with iTunes on.

Power off your device

1. Hold the Power(top) button for 3 seconds

2. While still holding the power button press and hold the Home button, hold these down together for 10 seconds.

3. Release the power button and continue holding the Home button for 15 seconds.

This process puts your device in DFU mode, typically iTunes will see your phone and you can restore. I thought reseting your device completely wiped it of any data and OS.

3. Etnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

See, that is the tricky part - I can't. The phone simply won't turn off no matter what I try. It seems to be stuck in some kind of loop, lasts about 20min each, after which the screen will go blank for about a second and than the cycle starts again. I already waited out two of those loops and tried pushing home when the screen goes blank, only it doesn't make a difference :/

4. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Ok, I would hold both power and home button until the screen goes blank. Then IMMEDIATELY start the process I mentioned above. Because more than likely it will power itself back on with in a second or two.

5. Etnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said, this doesn't work either, nothing I do seems to reach the phone, no matter what buttons I press the cycle stays the same. The only times I see a change is when the cycle restarts itself (approx every 20min) - than I get a blank screen for about a second, the other time is when the battery is empty - I get the "low battery" screen with the request to connect a power source - when I do so, the screen changes to the "low battery - charging" screen, than after a few minutes it jumps right back into the loop. No action I take during any of those screens will do anything.

The only feedback I get from the device is when I connect or disconnect thee charger when the battery is low.

6. lgwells1, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Too bad you are not in Columbia, MO or I would come take a peak at it. Was it jailbroken when you reset it?

I am feeling awful helpful tonight, you can PM me, and we can get on google+ chat or something and we can work this out. I don't know how long I will have though, I got some homework that needs to get done or my prof will rape me.

7. Etnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe, no, I'm not even close ^^

As far as I remember the device was jailbroken, did that long ago and never had any issues so far. Someone suggested to open the thing up and disconnect all the cables and then see if that fixes it but I'm still hesitating to do something this drastic.

8. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have never heard of opening up the device and detaching all of the cables :roll eyes:

You cannot reset a device while it is jailbroken, I found this out a few days ago. Because all I got was the Apple logo. I entered DFU mode with no problems though.

It is a long shot, but try downloading RecBoot or something similar and it will give you the option to put your phone into recovery mode. Better than opening up your phone.

9. Etnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

RecBoot, iReb, nothing helps :/

Funny thing is, even when I see the low battery screen, the phone can not be shut off or restarted. Don't know if thats usually the case.

10. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

lol man this is a toughy!

Try calling a Apple Retail store and ask to speak to a Genius, or possible ask to make an appointment to visit with one. They could at least diagnose your problem and you can fix it!

11. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Drop it on it's back from 3 feet onto a wooden floor, (or wooden table).
    My friend had the same exact problem as you, and the shock from the short drop made it reboot, then run as normal.
    I seen it with my own eyes, (my friend is a genius btw) -

12. Etnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, maybe I try the Apple store first, they have wooden desks there, haven't they? So if all fails I can go to option B immediately ^^

13. Etnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

Its alive!

Been there, done that, and what should I say? It works again! ;)

No, off course I did not drop or opened it, the simple yet tricky solution was to clean out the docking connector. They had some illuminated magnifying glass and with that we could spot the tiny piece of wood which blocked the connector just enough to be able to charge but unable to connect. I never would have spotted that the connector was a fraction out of the socket, but than I don't have one of those blue shirts ^^

So, after a long painful weekend I have my phone back, lets hope it stays with me for a while longer. Thanks lgwells1 for the suggestions and thanks Eager Beaver for yours too - the looks I got in the apple store when suggesting this were totally worth it :D

14. guitman43 macrumors newbie

brilliant

thank you it worked great took a while to do it followed your instructions several times and its up dating now my iphone was able to be seen by itunes thank you again .. :):):)