3g stuck in boot cycle - every 10 seconds - won't restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by my85cami, Jul 8, 2010.

1. my85cami macrumors newbie

My :apple: iPhone 3g 16 gb was jailbroken and unlocked. It had no problems whatsoever. All of a sudden, while driving and listening to music from the phone through my car stereo via ipod hookup, my phone randomly restarted and would not boot up again. It would only show the apple logo for about 10 seconds, then a very quick full white screen, and reboot again, in a constant loop. It will do this constantly for hours until the battery dies.

Even though it's constantly rebooting, I can hold down the power and home buttons until it turns off. I can also get it into DFU mode, but it won't go into recovery mode.

Here's the kicker - it won't restore. ITunes pulls it up, recognizing a phone in DFU mode and tries to restore it, but it only gets to where it shows the progress bar on the phone beneath the apple logo, and then restarts again. WTF?

I have NO idea what to do. Seems like it should be an easy fix?

Could anyone point me in the right direction? :confused:

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Had the same issue with my 8GB 3G a month ago! Had to keep putting it in DFU until I was able to restore it in iTunes and had to jailbreak again after updating.

3. my85cami thread starter macrumors newbie

What did you do to finally get it to restore? Every time I try restoring it reboots before it gets anywhere.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

held down power button for 3 seconds, then held down home for 10 while still holding power, then released power until it booted to the "connect to itunes" screen.

Kept restarting, but eventually it made was able to completely restore.

5. my85cami thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine keeps restarting at the same point in the restore every single time. Maybe there's hope, but maybe not.

Is there anyone else with other ideas to try?

6. my85cami thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any programs maybe that would keep the phone from rebooting during the restore process?

7. my85cami thread starter macrumors newbie

8. gregpxc macrumors newbie

I hate to be "that guy" (resurection and all) but I am having this issue... was a solution ever found or do I just keep trying?

9. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

Just do a DFU mode restore. (put iphone into DFU mode, then restore to whatever firmware you had on before). That'll fix it.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Plug the USB into the computer and have iTunes running. HOLD the home button on the iPhone, while holding it, connect the iPhone to the USB and CONTINUE to hold the home button until the CONNECT TO ITUNES DISPLAY appears.