Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I found the macrumors article pretty interesting that the 3G version of the iPad wont allow the user to play ABC app and scales down the video of the netflix application.

I tried testing this out just right now and the netflix doesnt scale anything down and it plays the the ABC TV shows just fine. I wonder how those apps know what to look for that the user is using 3G but it wont recognize my tethered iPad to my 3G via T-mobile?

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
It's written into the apps themselves. It's because the quality won't be as great for most people on 3G, and it can be unreliable. For video streaming, it can be poor, and none of the developers want a poor experience using their apps.

This is why you are getting it to work on 3G when tethering: the app checks the iPad connection to the net, and makes the decision to play or not. Yes to wifi, no to 3G. When you tether to your phone, your iPad is actually using wifi, which means the app works.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
3G Unrestrictor on cydia will bypass this. :p No iPad jailbreak yet so you have to live with those limitations for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.