3G toggle on ios 8 GM

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ggp759, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ggp759 macrumors member

Upgraded to ios 8 GM from ios7.1.2. Used itunes 11.14 on windows. My carrier does not support LTE. Now instead of the "enable 3G" option I have enable LTE. Is there a way to get the 3g toggle back? 3G on all the time really drains my battery. Thanks so much in advance.

2. ggp759 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone?

3. Anatolian macrumors newbie

Your GSM service provider should release an update for it.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unless there's some bug in iOS its usually based on what is in the carrier settings bundle. In either case there's probably not much that you can do short of perhaps trying to reset settings or reinstalling to see if that might change that.

5. ggp759 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the replies. Unfortunately resetting my network settings did not work neither did reinstalling the GM. My carrier never released updates for the phone(not as far as am aware off). Only this that remains is a fresh install. Will try that. Hopefully its a bug in the GM. Will see. Thanks again.

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

There has not been a 3G toggle since the iPhone 4S. Now you can only turn LTE off.

7. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Same issue for me. Had a 3G toggle on my iPhone 5 all the way through 7.1.2
    Disappeared in iOS 8, hopefully a carrier settings update will change that. Currently having a 4G toggle makes 0 sense to me as my iPhone 5 is not compatible with my carrier's, Tesco Mobile, 4G spectrum

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, often the iOS updates will have newer carrier bundles in them already so the uodate would essentially be part of the iOS update.

9. Matt7993 macrumors newbie

since this topic is open I would like to ask if there is a chance to bring back "turn off 3G" button or somehow force iphone to use 2G (like before LTE craze) in ios 8? Any third party application could do that? Since ios 8 allows some third party app

10. ggp759 thread starter macrumors member

Had the 3g toggle up to 7.1.2 on iphone 5s. Depends on the carrier.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Right. In the U.S. it was taken off on the iPhone 4S.

12. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

My iPhone 4 still has a 3G toggle with iOS 7.1.2.
    My iPhone 3GS still has a 3G toggle on iOS 6.1.6.

My iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S never had a 3G toggle, and that really pissed me off.

If you're in an area with bad LTE or HSPA coverage, dropping down to EDGE is a great way to save battery and get data working again.

Many carriers want to drop 2G/EDGE support so that they can refarm the spectrum for use with LTE. Apple has allowed them to disable the 3G toggle via Carrier Profile on iOS.

13. Orka macrumors regular

Ios dos not support two toggles (3g off and 4g off) at a time, you can have only one (theoretically) of these in your network settings so i think none of you will receive update that will bring 3g off toggle back (as long as your carrier supports 4g). Those carrier bundles were released to enable 4g in your phones, now it appears it's done by default in IOS 8 for most carriers.

It is completely Apple's fault and there is nothing cariers can do with it.
    Your only chance is if your carrier does NOT support 4g, then may be there will be update (i doubt it still).

14. UnDholly macrumors newbie

15. Orka macrumors regular

In that video it's IOS 7.0.4 , also that guy says in comments section that after he updated to 7. 1 that trick didn't work any more.

16. UnDholly macrumors newbie

I do this for me and my girlfriend in iPhone 5S 7.1.2 and this solution help ...

17. Rizwanshaibaz macrumors newbie

i have some thing for ios 8 to turn off 3G or LTE that support 5, 5c,5s,6 & 6plus

18. EldonChew macrumors regular

I believe turning Cellular Data > Off will force the phone to use 2G

19. Orka macrumors regular

No, It will not.

If your phone is registered in 3G network after you switch cell data off it'll continue to use it (3G network) for voice calls/sms only.

20. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

I am on 3 mobile UK, and I had that toggle till 3 mobiles enabled 4G in my area, after that only option available is 4G.

21. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It's all through a carrier update.

Three released one a while back that enabled the 4G switch. I have an iPhone 5 and have the 4G switch as Three's LTE network supports the iPhone 5.

22. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Yep that happened after I installed the update from three.

23. sandeeproy, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

sandeeproy macrumors newbie

sandeeproy

App to install 3G toggle in iOS 8

Visit Apple Community forums - some folks are using a 3rd party App, have got the 3G toggle back. It's Chinese so don't know what kind of personal data it could be sending out. I downgraded to 7.1.2 & left Feedback for Apple under Feature request. Also wrote to Carrier & got a support ticket.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6537515?start=90&tstart=0
    page 6,7

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6546123

24. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

3G (UMTS) shouldn't drain your battery any more than EDGE does. That hasn't been a problem since the first iPhone 3G. UMTS is faster and will finish transfers quicker and thus use the radio less. Your battery life should be better, not worse, using UMTS instead of EDGE/GSM.

25. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Doesn't this neglect the fact that 3G signal is more often weaker than 2G, either due to less 3G enabled masts or the higher wave frequency of 3G, which is less able to penetrate walls and so on?

An iPhone may cling on to a poor 3G signal in favour of a stronger 2G signal. Not only is this inconvenient if it means more call drops and so on, it will use more battery maintaining a weak signal.

I have disabled 4G for similar reasons: in my area it isn't much faster than 3G and is always weaker. (Don't worry, I don't pay more to get 4G!)