3G Touch: 8G vs. 32G for music and internet?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ken S, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Ken S macrumors member

I'm currently trying to decide between the 8G and 32G model. The 8G price point is obviously attractive and I am wondering if I need the additional memory and speed if I am using it mainly for:

- Music
    - Web browsing

I'm not a gamer (not yet, anyway) and don't plan on a lot of video playback or heavy app usage either.

Would the 8G model suffice?

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

How much music do you have? Would it all fit on a 32GB touch or not? If you don't care about not having all of your music with you then the 8GB will be good enough for music playback and internet. What i would say though is that the 32GB and 64GB have a faster processor which is noticeable in games. And you get earphones with built in remote on those two models.

3. McBeats macrumors 6502a

well to my understanding the 8gb is really just a 2nd gen (under the hood).

if your not caring about games, speed wise it'll do well. Its still way faster than the first generation.

as for space, if your gonna have wifi at often times, you can stream your video/pictures/music from your main computer to keep from using up all your space on the ipod.

that would personally be my deal maker... whether i have a wifi connection most of the time or not. if i dont, id go 32gb.

anyone else?

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Don't forget movies are about 1GB each so think about how much video you will put on it.

5. Ken S thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses.

I will be replacing an old 1st gen Nano with 4G so I'm used to taking just the playlists I want.

I travel quite extensively for work and most of this will be used on the plane. In most cases, this means no Wi-fi. Other times, I'll be on my home network to surf or stream music from my Mac or Pandora.

Will the faster processor and more memory in the 32G make a noticeable difference in web browsing?

6. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yes it will render web pages faster than the 8GB. If you plan to do a lot of surfing it will be worth getting the 32. Read here >> New iPod Touch

7. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

The new ipod touch 32GB and 64GB are 50% percent faster than the previous versions! in ALL aspects!!!! + voice control, which the 8GB does not have!:D;)

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

See I have the opposite problem I am trying to decide between the 32gb and 64gb touch. The 8gb is just not and option. Its 2 year old hardware.

9. coldpower27 macrumors regular

Don't bother with old tech, just get the 32GB! :D

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Another option is a 16GB 2G refurb from the Apple Store (do they still have them?)

I think the 8GB is a relatively weak value, the 32GB is good but not sure you need it.

11. Ken S thread starter macrumors member

Ok -- I am now the proud owner of a 32G Touch! How's that for a quick turn around? :)

Thanks for all your replies. Now I need a decent screen protector with it. I bought the Griffin iClear, but the protector that comes with it is not very good...

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Congrats!:D;):)

13. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I just put a 32gb iPod touch on layaway at the base exchange. When Christmas money comes in that thing comes home. I have the 1st gen but I really want the extra hd space and speaker. Plus the faster internet will be great too.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Good choice on the iPod. I have been using the zagg invisible shield for nearly two years now. First on my touch and then getting another when I got my iPhone. They are the best protectors I have seen and when I sold my touch after a year it looked brand new! I will say they can be tricky to apply as you have to squirt liquid onto the shield and then position it into place and leave it till it dries. But once on they are superb. You won't scratch your iPod using these :D

15. edwina macrumors newbie

my first gen ipod touch has been just fine for my needs. i only house about 300-400 songs on my ipod including several apps. i mainly just use my ipod for internet and music, nothing too heavy. i think depending on your music library, the 8gb will be great. and it's at a great price too! my first-gen cost $299 so that's a nice deal IMO.

16. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I just picked up the 32gb model a few hours ago.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You'll appreciate the faster processor and graphics chip. It's not going to significantly reduce web page loading times, but it makes the whole device feel faster. Faster boot up, app launch, everything. I ran out of space on my 2G 8GB with only about 500+ songs. They were all 256kbps iTunes Plus encoded so maybe that's why, and I had about 1GB of apps.

Oh, and you mentioned being on planes very often. With all that free time, you'll download apps like crazy. Get the 32GB, it's so much cheaper than older gen 32GBs.

18. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

visiual aid to show the time taken for tasks....2nd gen vs 3rd gen:

[​IMG]

20. McBeats macrumors 6502a

$100 bucks more for 4x the space, and a big speed bump in processor and GPU... i think its a no-brainer to go for the 32gb 3g... but if ur hella broke and cant cough up 100 more bucks from somewhere, cant wait to save for a lil bit more... an 8gb 2g will do, just stream ur music n vids from your computer at home.

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

22. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I don't even use my new 3G Touch for music. Even if I do, 1GB would be more than enough storage for my music. I use it mainly for apps and internet, yet I chose the 32GB because of the faster processor. However, the speed increase doesn't seem that dramatic from my previous 2G iPod Touch. But, I don't regret upgrading.