3G unlock iphone using 2G SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siliconhybrid, Sep 11, 2008.

1. siliconhybrid macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    This probably has been discussed.

If I have a 3G unlock iphone, and I have ATT SIM card with data plan (I have Treo 650 with unlimited data plan), do I get 3G internet connection?

I understand my Treo is using edge network, but I assume the 'bottleneck' is in the phone (Treo), whereas the internet data network is the same for all.

Has anyone tried using their new 3G iphone, with the non-3G ATT SIM ?

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Will be interesting to see what the answer to this is in the US... I can swap any O2 SIM card into my O2 3G iPhone. As far as I am aware, it is simply locked to the carrier - nothing more.

3. twong82 macrumors newbie

It should work. I had a Treo 750 with Cingular/AT&T and had an old orange Cingular sim that I was using from 5 years ago. My Treo still got 3G.

4. siliconhybrid thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I am resurrecting this thread because I have an update.
    I have a Cingular SIM which has $20 unlimited data plan from my Treo 650.
    - I have an unlocked 2G (edge) iPhone, works well with the above Cingular SIM I got edge connection.
    - Then I bought a used 3G iPhone, and I used SIM unlock with the same Cingular SIM (above), I did not get a 3G connection, I am getting just EDGE data connection.

anyone has difference experience?

Now, I am thinking to resell my 3G on ebay, without the 3G data, I have no use of it over the 2G iPhone.