3G update issues 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bush1974, Feb 13, 2011.

1. bush1974 macrumors member

Hi peeps,
    I have a friends 3G which is on stock 3.1.3. She needs it jailbroken and unlocked at 4.2.1. Anyhow, when I used the latest redsn0w it won't recognise the 3.1.3 IPSW. I've tried downloading it from various locations and even tried the 3.1.2 as someone on google had suggested but to no avail. How else can I update it whilst preserving the baseband? I have considered updating to stock 4.2.1 and using the ipad baseband unlock, but I really can't risk losing GPS. Apart from leaving it at 3.1.3, what are my options?
    Thanks in advance.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

4.2.1 isn't the best performance-wise for a 3G anyway. If you really want it though, try using tinyumbrella or pwnagetool to create and update to 4.2.1 while preserving the Baseband?

3. bush1974 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, what can I use instead of redsn0w on windows to JB 3.1.3?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You don't even need to hook it up to computer if you use Jailbreakme.com to jailbreak it.

6. bush1974 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys!
    I managed to jailbreak with spirit - all good apart from I can't get a signal! It says Orange up in the top left but there are no signal bars! HELP!?!?

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Did you install Ultrasn0w?

8. bush1974 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, installed ultrasn0w. After much digging around it seems that the phone's IMEI may be blocked. She's gonna be gutted as I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about that?

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What's your baseband? If you're still running on the ancient 3.1.3 then your baseband should still be unlockable. Unless you updated to 4.x.x and the baseband got upgraded. I don't think the IMEI would get blocked for any reason...

Try restoring (you might need to edit your hosts file, google it) to 3.1.3 and re-jailbreaking and re-ultrasn0wing.

If all else fails, run Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or higher and install the iPad baseband. You'll lose GPS but oh well. It's worth it if you need the unlock.