3G upgrade will i loose my sms messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScotRobson, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi all

Finally got my upgrade iPhone 3G in white, could someone tell me if everything is copied over to the new phone.

I'm worried that i might loose all my text messages.

Many thanks
    Scot

2. m477h3w macrumors 6502

If you back up your old iPhone in iTunes, then select 'Restore From Back Up' when you set up your 3G in iTunes, all your texts will be transfered :D

I was in Torquay the other week, very nice place!!!!

3. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

4. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey

Thanks for the help guy unfortunately I couldn't get the software on micromat to download. So went ahead and started to register the new 3G after I backed up my old phone.

During the registration process it asked if I wanted to restore from the previously backed up phone or register as a new phone. I selected the restore option but I was told the 3G software was not up to date and to register it as a new phone and then restore after.

My question is now, how do I restore from the previous backup cause I cant see how to do it anywhere.

Many thanks.

ps, yeah Torquay is nice as long as you get good weather :)

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

A backup by iTunes of your 1st gen iPhone, will backup literally everything, warts 'n all. Just like making an image of a HDD partition.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I know when i did all my voice mails carried over so i believe the sms should do it too.

7. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is I don't then know how to put the back up of the old phone onto the new one.

The old phone still has all my sms on it, if i connect it to itunes it backs up but then i connect my new phone and it backs that one up in its current "empty" state it doesnt give me an option to copy old to new.

Any ideas?

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

iTunes should offer you the option of applying your backup or a fresh install, when you activate your new iPhone. :)
    I did exactly that (apply the backup) when I upgraded. It works flawlessly. ;)

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Here is the actual Apple page regarding this: Link

According to that, everything should "just work". If its not maybe you have a corrupted file?

10. kg9ov macrumors member

This happened when a buddy of mine upgraded his. The phone out of the box has the old iPhone software on it and needs to be upgraded first. Just go with it... get the updated software on the phone. Then, ctrl-click on your iPhone's name in the left pane in iTunes and select "Restore from Backup..."

-Tony