3G upgrade will i loose my sms messages?

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
Hi all

Finally got my upgrade iPhone 3G in white, could someone tell me if everything is copied over to the new phone.

I'm worried that i might loose all my text messages.

Many thanks
Scot

m477h3w

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
If you back up your old iPhone in iTunes, then select 'Restore From Back Up' when you set up your 3G in iTunes, all your texts will be transfered :D

I was in Torquay the other week, very nice place!!!!

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
Exactly; a backup of the old and a restore of the backup on the new should bring everything over. There's a free utility to back your SMS up to a PDF though that works great if you're concerned about it:

http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=190
Hey

Thanks for the help guy unfortunately I couldn't get the software on micromat to download. So went ahead and started to register the new 3G after I backed up my old phone.

During the registration process it asked if I wanted to restore from the previously backed up phone or register as a new phone. I selected the restore option but I was told the 3G software was not up to date and to register it as a new phone and then restore after.

My question is now, how do I restore from the previous backup cause I cant see how to do it anywhere.

Many thanks.

ps, yeah Torquay is nice as long as you get good weather :)

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
A backup by iTunes of your 1st gen iPhone, will backup literally everything, warts 'n all. Just like making an image of a HDD partition.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I know when i did all my voice mails carried over so i believe the sms should do it too.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
A backup by iTunes of your 1st gen iPhone, will backup literally everything, warts 'n all. Just like making an image of a HDD partition.
The problem is I don't then know how to put the back up of the old phone onto the new one.

The old phone still has all my sms on it, if i connect it to itunes it backs up but then i connect my new phone and it backs that one up in its current "empty" state it doesnt give me an option to copy old to new.

Any ideas?

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
iTunes should offer you the option of applying your backup or a fresh install, when you activate your new iPhone. :)
I did exactly that (apply the backup) when I upgraded. It works flawlessly. ;)

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Here is the actual Apple page regarding this: Link

According to that, everything should "just work". If its not maybe you have a corrupted file?

kg9ov

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2005
In front of a computer...
During the registration process it asked if I wanted to restore from the previously backed up phone or register as a new phone. I selected the restore option but I was told the 3G software was not up to date and to register it as a new phone and then restore after.

My question is now, how do I restore from the previous backup cause I cant see how to do it anywhere.
This happened when a buddy of mine upgraded his. The phone out of the box has the old iPhone software on it and needs to be upgraded first. Just go with it... get the updated software on the phone. Then, ctrl-click on your iPhone's name in the left pane in iTunes and select "Restore from Backup..."

-Tony