3G upgraded to iOS4 problem, needs SIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macwizard3, Jun 29, 2010.

1. macwizard3 macrumors newbie

I bought a used 3G in Dec '09, and it's been working fine...even JB. I do NOT have the phone activated. It works like the iPod Touch, but with the camera and vibration mode that the iTouch doesn't have.

About 2 months ago, I had to restore the iPhone (no big deal), but I got a message I'd never seen before that said there was "no SIM card", the phone could not be activated (I don't WANT it activated!). Borrowed a SIM from a friend, inserted to my iPhone and it "activated" and I was back in business!! Returned SIM to friend, no problems...

NOW, I upgraded to iOS 4 to take advantage of the >180 apps limit and a few other goodies. NOW, I still get a message that there's no SIM installed and I can't do ANYTHING until I install a SIM. Can't keep borrowing a SIM card. The solution, from reading all the Google searches, was to "hacktivate" (JB) it, which I did (yes, there IS a JB for iOS4!). That worked fine for 3-4 days, then the phone went into a constant reboot cycle (the Apple startup screen kept appearing).

I've tried RESTORE, it will NOT let me restore to an older OS (3.1.3). Yes, I went into DFU mode, held the OPTION key when clicking the RESTORE button so I could choose the older .ipsw that was saved on my Mac. I get an error that the phone could not be restored (code 1015).
    If I try to restore regularly, it does with the "latest firmware", but when I then apply the JB (to get around the NO SIM issue) is when it goes into the reboot loop.

Bottom line is, I can't use the iPhone at all at this point, not without a SIM (or so it seems). I've been thru Apple's site and tried everything down their trouble-shooting list. NO luck!!

AT&T has a CHEAP refurb GoPhone for a whole $7 including shipping if I activate it online (activation fee waived). I don't need or want a voice phone, just a way to use my iPhone the way I've BEEN using it, without service activation.

I need a cheap solution to my problem. I've seen some say YES, some say NO. CAN a GoPhone SIM be used to "activate" the iPhone 3G with iOS 4??

Thanks!!

2. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Can I ask why you say you can't borrow an ATT sim? I mean, it only takes like 5 seconds to activate... And after that you just give the sim back and your iPhone will still be activated.....

Or you can use redsn0w to jailbreak. Either way, you shouldn't need to buy your own sim just to activate your iPhone.

3. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

a few questions and then i can help you out

1. what are you using to jailbreak?
    2. 3g is unlockable now, you can use any sim card after youve hacktivate it and instally ultrasnow on cydia

i suggest you use redsnow to jailbreak to 4.0 and get it hacktivated that way.

Redsn0w is the most stable one around. go to you local at&t and ask for a sim card, they sell sim cards for 15$ and thats with a 15$ load.

any at&t sim card will activate the phone, but i suggest the jailbreak and unlock. saves you 15$ that way

4. macwizard3 thread starter macrumors newbie

redsn0w is what I've been using to try to jailbreak it, and it got locked into an infinite reboot loop.

I can't keep borrowing a SIM card, because I don't have anyone "handy" (nearby) to ask. I may have my iPhone in my pocket all the time, but I don't carry my LAPTOP with me all the time (to snag a card for the few moments needed).

AT&T sells JUST the sim cards with $ loaded (ie: prepaid voice minutes)???

5. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Invite a friend over? Haha. Well, redsn0w has been working perfectly for me, so I dunno.

I guess if you really REALLY needed to, you could activate your iPhone with a prepaid ATT sim. Or if you have a friend who USED to be on ATT, you can use their inactive SIM to activate your iPhone also.

6. IraB macrumors newbie

I tried all day yesterday to activate my 3g with an inactive sim card with no luck, i got an internal device error.activation always fails for me, the phone and computer for some reason won't "talk" to eachother for activation. while if i skip activation the sync just fine.

7. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

i didnt say you should borrow one. you should BUY one, AT&T DOES SELL JUST THE SIM CARDS 15$ is the cheapest i remember

seriously your just making it harder for yourself

your doing something wrong if you got redsn0w on an infinite reboot with ur 3g because ive used redsnow on 4 3g iphones and 5 ipod touch 2g all work flawlessly

make sure you are using the right ipsw

8. PaulDoFish macrumors regular

Same for me. I've used redsn0w countless times and never have gotten an infinite reboot. The OP must be doing something wrong.. Or maybe try on a different computer?