3G usage after three weeks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rdstoll, May 16, 2010.

1. rdstoll macrumors 6502

So was just wondering how much data people have used since the 3G launch three weeks ago. I'm all the way up to 616MB so very glad i got the unlimited package, but am worried about the ramifications for an upcoming 9 day international trip. How much 3G data have you used at this point. I will say that I've been hooked up to my work email via Exchange during two of these three weeks.

2. iserian macrumors 6502

3. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I'm at nearly 700 mb. Pretty much just one weeks worth when the hotel net was only 10% the speed of 3G.

4. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

Also Zero. Haven't needed it yet. Havent even tried turning it on. That will change this summer at our summer cottage.

5. jobsfnby macrumors regular

Sent 224 mb
    Received 4 Gb

Picked my 3G up at the launch and activated it before I was out of the store.

I use my 3G most of the time though. This usage is from email, web surfing, games, and suprisingly only a little bit of YouTube.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1GB with no streaming. Mostly loading (and reloading) the Macrumors iPad wallpaper thread... :cool:

7. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

I turned on 3G 3 nights ago and I've used 19.5MBs only, 17 of this on the first night at a baseball game for 2 hours.

I'm glad I got the 250MB plan to start.

But I haven't gone over 200 MBs on my iPhone in 6 months.

All I use it for, out and about, is email and internet.

I start a new job tomorrow and think it will be a few days before I have figured out whether I want to take it there at all. I probably will eventually, for lunchtime use. They may have a wifi though. It's a luxury resort, so they probably do--free for employees I hope!

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Sent 54.6 mb
    Rcvd 888 mb

Activated 5/2

The biggest chunk was a 15 min netflix stream, that was about 160 mb for like 15 minutes!

We streamed NASA tv the other day for over 2 hours and it didn't use that much.

Yesterday I bought the full version of air video though and got that set up, gunna go up now! :D

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

10 MB since May 12, checking email and light surfing. I activated the 250 MB plan because I'll be travelling later this month and early June, so I wanted to be sure I can get online anywhere. Also, I'll get access to free AT&T wifi hotspots. I think I'll be fine with the 250 plan.

10. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

What kind of download speeds are you iPad 3G users seeing? I have used Speed Test app from speedtest.net to sample connection speed at different venues in our town. I see from 300kbps to 3500kbps. Most of the time it is between 1500 to 2000kbps.

11. epi117 macrumors 6502

Sent 65
    Recieved 660

Picked it up about 7 days ago. Have not used wifi since i got it, running skype in background 100%

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I never remember to test it - i'm normally in a hurry to get something particular done. It has seemed like it has varied all over the place though.

13. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

12 days of activated 3G

669 MB downloaded
    42.7 MB uploaded

14. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

8 days activated

4mb sent
    37mb received

At this rate, I should drop to the lower rate plan. I mainly use mine at home and some out/about. I have a trip coming up - that may justify the higher rate plan...

15. sashakla macrumors member

also, this is an iPhone version of Skype you are talking about, right? i don't think there's iPad one available yet...
    either way, how do you run Skype in background? JB?