3G users get the shaft......again.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by csmitty, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. csmitty macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    #1
    I know on the 3GS launch there were many first time 3G users that wanted to upgrade. ATT said sorry, even if resigning a contract. Which I "thought" was pretty common practice after a year. Then they said ok. we'll give you a month or two for your eligibility date. Since I wasn't eligible till Dec. I said i'll just wait till June.

    June rolls around. figure i'll pre order and everything will be just fine. Got the reservation email for in store pickup, at about 6am. checked all day. was still good. Now this morning its no where to be found and not on the list at the apple store. F'n awesome. What could have caused all this snafu from yesterday and the overwhelming demand? ATTs decisions to let probably hundreds of thousands upgrade early. Gee thanks. Now those that had the 3G and couldn't upgrade last year essentially can't upgrade at launch thanks to all 3GS users and new users slamming the system. I understand their position though. They know they will lose the iphone in probably the next year. So try to get as many customers signed up and raise the ETF. Unless the verizon phone is LTE. I'll stick with ATT, the service isn't terrible here. Some of the policy's though, well i'm sure you all know the words by now.

    Seems like those who got in on the 3G in the first month or so are in a black hole. I know atleast I am. But really, my 3G works just fine. Its got the 5.08 boot loader on it so I can do whatever really and not have to worry about upgrading to whatever firmware comes out. I'm enjoying 4.0 with the wall papers and multi tasking. Even though I could those things over a year ago. :) I'm diving in for the screen and camera. And CPU and RAM of course.

    Just felt like divulging my observations from yesterdays horrendous pre-order festivities.

    My local store manager said he might be able to get me one, depending on how many they get, since he doesn't really know outside of the reserved ones of course.
     
  2. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2007
    #2
    Umm, I have a 3g and I was able to pre-order for home delivery just fine (aka. took forever but it went through).

    And I'm pretty sure your case is really tied to the pre-order system issues rather than the fact that you have a 3g.
     
  3. j3w3ly macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    #3
    The odds of you getting a pre-order in were exactly the same as a new user or a 3GS user.
     
  4. koilvr macrumors 6502

    koilvr

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
  5. dontworry macrumors 6502

    dontworry

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #5
    I think this is what OP is talking about. I'm upgrading from a 3g too and my upgrade date was now. Now they are letting someone who bought a newer phone at the same price have the same exact subsidy. I still think it's cool to bump everyone's eligibility up but this was clearly a move to create buzz and get everyone to buy something new. I don't feel as bad about the 3gs users getting an early upgrade as I do about some of these stories of people getting 3-4+ phones ordered with no problem but I had to get a paper ticket and wish. Oh well, early bird gets the worm.;)
     
  6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2009
    Location:
    Texas, US
    #6
    Cheese, man.

    He needs cheese with that.
     
  7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

    QuarterSwede

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #7
    and wine ;)
     
  8. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    #8
    haha, well atleast one person got what I was sayin. I've gotten over it already. If i get one the 24th thats fine. If not. I'll spend that money on other stuff and just get one later. Was just really looking forward to it since I had my 3G 2 years.

    Just would be nice if there was some consistency. Maybe if you were only 2 months out from upgrading, like for the 3GS. And yes. I should have gotten delivery and my problems probably would have gone away. But like everyone has said. Its taken multiple tries and frustration to get one. And thats from the increased traffic. Yes it would have been large in the first place. But because of the massive upgrade eligibilities it was overwhelming and i guess caused the server my order was on to melt.

    And i'm sure, just like with the 3GS, when next year rolls around. There won't be any pushed up upgrade dates. So maybe I'll get one then for an early upgrade, that way i'll get on the cycle where every two years they bump up your upgrade date.

    Well by then the government will run one wireless company anyways. yippie :rolleyes:
     
  9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

    ScubaCinci

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati OH
    #9
    I don't disagree. Users who were already eligible for upgrade without the grace period should have first dibbs. Then again, AT&T being one of the larger telecommunications companies in the world, should have been better prepared. Things don't always work out as they should.
     
  10. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    #10
    I want some wine :D
     
  11. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

    BlondeBuddhist

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2010
    #11
    yeah, cuz the process wasn't complicated enough.

    There are those, like myself, who owned both a 3G and a GS. The argument could be made that those who purchased both should have had "first dibs"

    While the confusion was running wild it was just as easy for person A as it was for person B

    Blonde Buddhist
     

Share This Page