3G Video Calls on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by a19, Mar 11, 2011.

1. a19 macrumors newbie

Hey there. I'm a long time iPhone user, but new to the 4. It's not like I don't know anything about it from the get-go, but there's this one feature I'm having trouble with.

FaceTime seems like a great way to chat over wifi, but is it possible to do so over 3G? I can't seem to find a way to do that at all! And if it is available on 3G somehow, is it possible start a generic video call to people without an iPhone/FaceTime, like say, people who are using a Nokia, or something?

I tried getting my friend to do start the video call because FT won't start without wifi. He kept getting the message: "Video calling not supported by the other handset," which meant my iPhone, of course.

Please help! :)

2. Los macrumors regular

Facetime is for iOS devices only. What you want is something like Skype, Fring, or Tango.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can only use FT over wifi at the moment.
    Unless you JB and install a hack that bypasses that.
    But you can only Facetime other Iphone 4, ipod touch, ipad 2 or Mac users.
    You cant do it with nokia phones or windows computers for example.
    But there are many other services that allow video calls over 3G with many different devices and connections not tied up to Apple only.
    Like Yahoo IM, Skype and a few other clients you can download from the Appstore.

4. a19 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, that means there's no actual video calling feature built into the phone, is there? Even if I use an app like Skype, the other person should have it, too.

What I mean by actual video calling is that, phones that do support it, don't need an app installed, and they can call any other phone that supports it so. This makes video calling a substitute to voice calls, with the carrier charging per minutes of the call. What these apps do is that they use the Internet connection provided by 3G or WiFi, and start out something like VoIP, but, you know, for video.

A phone doesn't need 3G for this. And it doesn't even have to be a phone, for that matter, either.

Any JB apps/hacks that'll do this?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It is an actual video call.
    And no it dont support old school video calls where the video calls get charged a huge amount $$ per minute to video call other outdated devices with tiny screens and bad resolution.
    Its done different thru apps that use data not carrier restricted minutes with packages and video call services and monthly billed addons.

6. a19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, well then I guess my real concern would be talking to people without an iPhone...preferably having only one of us install an app. I can't tell everyone to get Fring, Skype or Tango, although, I wish they already had Tango. :p (because it doesn't really require account creation)
    So, it would be better if I just had to download one app so I can talk to other people, without bothering them with another app.

Conversely, and some what contradicting, it'd also be okay if they could get an app so I could call directly using FT.

App for that? Any one of them? :p

And, thank you so much for your help! :)

7. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I use 3G unrestrictor on my JB iPhone 4. This tiny program fools the iPhone 4 into thinking is actually facetiming over Wi-Fi, but it's actually 3G/HSDPA.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome, it gets a little confusing i know its all new to you.
    That's basicly how it works and the options you have.
    You wont be able to use true FT unless like I said above is between iOS devices like ipad 2, new ipod touch, mac computers and iphone 4's.
    You wont be able to videochat without both users using the same app to do that. You cant have only one do that since both devices would need to run the same app and service to connect to each other.
    The most popular service IMO would be Skype cause it seems like alot of people have it and you can install it on most computers like PC and Mac and most android phones, windows mobile etc...
    Other than that it would be better to not have to go thru all that but doing it the old school way is expensive and have to bother with video calling packages per minute carrier charges and other things that go with it.
    At least now its free just using data instead of actual video minutes.

9. a19 thread starter macrumors newbie

True that.

Even with the ability to FT for free over Wifi and, with a hack, over 3G, I wish they had built in the option for old skool 3G vid calls. Then, I would have a choice. :p

Oh well, I guess I'll embrace FT for good now. And Skype/Tango for when I can't.

Thank you once again for all your help and time. :)

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

The Yahoo Messenger lets you videochat. As far as I know it works across any phone/platform that also has Yahoo Messenger installed

*edit* I just looked it up it says it does work cross-platform (and to computers)