3G video recording

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gangsta77, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gangsta77 macrumors member

well i read somewhere yesterday that with the app icycorder or something it only takes 3 frames per second. But today my friend just record a mini video and was extremely clear?

is there a difference from the icycoder for 3g and the 3gs video? looks same to me?

i should just get 3g then if i can use icycoder?

what else is in 3gs? and not in 3g? i know it has a compass its 2x faster? anything else?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The main advantages the 3GS has over the iPhone 3G is...

• that the processor of the phone is faster, so apps run smoother
    • that the wireless card is capable of downloading data from 3G connections faster
    • that the camera is higher quality, with an autofocus lens and high frame rate for video
    • that there is a built-in compass, to enhance GPS positioning and options for different apps
    • the screen is oleophobic, meaning that it helps prevent fingerprints and scratches

If you're looking to just get a standard 3G (as opposed to the 3GS), then recording video is an option via third-party apps on the App Store. You don't have to "jailbreak" your phone in order to do so anymore, as recently Apple has permitted these video-recording apps for sale. Although note that the 3G's camera isn't meant for video, the frame rate is much lower and not near the quality of the 3GS.

3. gangsta77 thread starter macrumors member

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple wants you to buy the new model. They Original iPhone can do MMS, but Apple wants you to buy a 3G. Also the 3G is jar as fast as the 3GS when the 3G is on 2.2.1 and the 3GS on 3.1.2. They slowed the OS down on the 3G so you would buy the new one.

5. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I've had first hand experience with both Cycorder on the 3G and the 3GS with native video recorder. 3G/Cycorder is ugly and shoots at around 10 FPS. 3GS is very good looking and shoots around 25 FPS (best mobile phone video I've seen).

The 3G was not designed to shoot video and the 3GS is, plain and simple. It's purely a hardware issue. Yes Cycorder along with other apps from the app store work, but it ain't pretty.

6. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Sorry, but everything you've stated is false. My 3G if anything has become faster with updates, not slower. If you are having speed issues, try restoring and activating as a new phone. The 3GS is clearly a faster device.

7. RobHague macrumors 6502

The 3G is just as fast as the 3GS? When did the 3G sprout wings and gain 128meg more RAM? Forgetting the CPU difference for a moment.

8. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Even with a fresh restore, Even with nothing on the iPhone, it takes launger to open the messages App on my 3G, and Original iPhone, compared to my neighbors iPhone 3G on 2.2.1 Every thing seemed slughtly slower after 3.0. Just serch for it on this forum. I'm not the only one. It seems as Apple just let it run however it would on the 3G.

10. kmiranda macrumors newbie

I'm using videorecorder3 on my 3G and I love it. I've never used Cycorder but from what I've read, the two applications are night and day differences between each other.

11. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

What is better?

12. kmiranda macrumors newbie

I can't personally speak for Cycorder but I am very happy with videorecorder3. From what I read when I was deciding which to install, most people leaned towards videorecorder over cycorder. I guess it's all about preference. Try it out, just giving you another option. ;-)

13. Acronym macrumors 68000

3G and 3GS video Comparison

i made this video awhile back just for this purpose take a look and see for yourself.

while cameras arent taking the exact same video photage its close enough for its intents and purposes.

14. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Thanks you to, I just deleted iPhoneVideoRecorder and just got cycorder, cycorder is by far superior.

15. Acronym macrumors 68000

Glad I could help :)