3G & Visual Voicemail not working...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfearless, Jul 15, 2008.

1. macfearless macrumors regular

So after a few days of wonderfully using my phone, the 3G icon at the top will not show up, and visual voicemail is currently unavailable. My area is covered very well in the 3G range, it just isn't working. Any ideas?

2. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

How is visual voicemail unavailable?

The 2 3Gs I activated wanted to dial into voicemail at first, but after calling and setting a temporary PIN via voice, subsequent voicemail access yielded the expected visual voicemail interface.

3. macfearless thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, it's been working fine since I set it up. now it isnt't available...

4. iPhone3G macrumors member

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but some people are simply new to iPhone or just don't know alot about phones.

So, is your 3G turned on in Settings > General > Network?

Whoops, just saw your recent post. Not sure on the voicemail then, maybe just a temporary problem on AT&T's end?

Good Luck.

5. macfearless thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, It's tough not to be Captain Obvious sometimes;) But yeah, it pretty much has me clueless right now. About to call ATT...

6. Mad Max24 macrumors member

Same thing just happened to my Sister, she lost her data and the voicemail button was dead. She talked to a high level tech. at AT&T, and he fix it. The Problem is the Apple people didn't provision the iPhone right at activation. The problem I had was no visual voicemail, I had a mailbox, again Apple gave me the wrong kind of data plan. :mad:

7. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I was/am still having the same problem. Somehow on iDay2, once my phone finally activated, my voicemails were transfered to my 3G iPhone from m 1st gen iPhone. Then a day later a friend told me that he couldn't leave a voicemail that it would just keep ringing. After a couple of days of trying to reset the password and recieving a 800 number to call I finally got through. The AT&T rep told me that I was never signed up for Visual Voicemail in my data plan. I didn't know that was even an option, or why anyone wouldn't want it. I told him it was included on my 1st gen iPhone. So he signed me up for it and now I entered my new password, and I picked the standard greeting but it give me the message "Voicemail Unavailable." I get crappy service at my desk so I might take a walk outside to see if it will set up. I'll keep you posted if interested.

8. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Weird. I'm getting practically the same thing. My 3G iPhone can access my Visual Voicemail no problem. I can play and greet them, but if I try to do anything with the greeting I get Voicemail Unavailable.

9. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Well I went outside and it sitll gave me the Unavailable error message. I think it must have something to do with the 3G network, which is wierding me out because the little icon comes and goes, even the Edge network icon has been showing up. And I live in a supposed 3G area. I'm going to stop by AT&T after work.

**UPDATE**

I was thinking I might have accidentally put the wrong SIM Card in when I was playing around with my old phone. So I took the one out I and replaced it, I then had no service. So I had the right one in the whole time. When I put the correct on back in I pressed the VoiceMail button and it called my voicemail and I went through a couple different steps. Then the Visual Voicemail showed up with out the error message. I called it from a buddy's phone and it works now.

10. lslakin macrumors newbie

3G fine Visual Voicemail not working

Okay, after 23 minutes on the phone with Apple, and an hour and 40 minutes on the phone with AT&T, I still don't have visual voicemail.

A little background...
    I upgraded today from the 1st gen iPhone to the 3G, everything seemed to go well, until I found out that my voicemail wasn't working. So, I hit "phone", then "voicemail" and the phone immediately brought up a keypad and called my voicemail (weird, this didn't happen last year with the first iPhone), prompted me to set a password and pick a greeting. Okay, done.
    Still, whenever I hit "voicemail", the keypad shows up and dials voicemail. Also, the phone never shows a notification that I have voicemail, I only know by checking.

The guy from Apple told me to reset my voicemail password and that should do it.
    Two people from AT&T had me reset the voicemail password at least 4 times (one was the regular rep, the other was tech support). Then they both went through absolutely every step in my account and confirmed that everything was setup correctly (it was/is), had me power off/on the phone 20+ times, left me 7 voicemails (none of which ever showed up on the phone)...
    Finally the tech support guy from AT&T filled out a system ticket and told me that someone would call me in 2 or 3 business days, for what I don't know.

I noticed that the 2.0 software version number on the new phone was 5A345, but the one on my old phone was 5A347, so I plugged the new phone into iTunes and hit "restore", this downloaded 5A347 and installed it, but I still have the same problem. I've read all the discussions I can find online and none of the fixes work on this one.

I'm hoping that AT&T is just having issues with the visual voicemail and it will work tomorrow, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be thrilled to hear them (especially if they work!!).

11. lslakin macrumors newbie

UPDATE: Last night, I turned the phone off and left it for the entire night. This morning, visual voicemail works! I don't know why, but I'm not questioning it either.

12. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

In future, if this happens, call at&t. They can reset it within minutes. You will lose your current voicemails, but it's done pretty quick. I had the issue with the 2G iPhone.

13. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Oddly enough, when I called up AT&T they told me that someone had removed Visual Voicemail from my account (so it was set up wrong), and that they'd add it right away. They did, and about ten minutes later everything was working as it should, but for some reason I still have all my old voicemails.

14. lslakin macrumors newbie

Not always true, but a good starting point. After an hour 40 minutes on the phone, AT&T was baffled.

15. nep61 macrumors 6502

Is Apple really Microsoft?

My iPhone 3G is on Back order with AT&T. :mad:

After reading all of these posts and threads the past few days, I'm beginning to feel as though Microsoft is the company that released the iPhone... TONS of problems upon release and everyone dumbfounded.

I remember a day when you picked an Apple product because.... It just worked. Well I guess that's what happens when you become very successful and release a product which relies on a 3rd party for service.

It makes me wonder if I just shouldn't keep my trust 'ol Treo650 going for a while.... Hmmm, what to do, what to do....:confused:

16. wmh2 macrumors newbie

Just so you know AT&T breaks down all the "features" or "options"... when you go to the store and add items to your "plan", they are typically a package or bundle of several items. This is done so they can offer different specials and packages based on your phone or geographical location without having to completely rewrite the software from scratch.

If these items are not correctly configured, it's not necessarily because the person at the AT&T store or the Apple store is wanting to mess with you. The fact that Visual Voicemail is provided with the 3G data package is part of the bundle. They still have to turn on that feature even though you aren't paying for it separately.

Personally, I am happy to see this thread. Not becaue people are having problems with their phones, but because a friend of mine got his iPhone 3G and his Visual Voicemail isn't working at all. He was going to head to the Apple store at lunch, but now he is going to call AT&T first to see if they can fix his problem. So you guys are saving him a trip to the wrong place.

Thanks!

17. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I had the same problem with Rogers. I was able to activate and use the phone but data wasn't working. I was able to pick up the signal and such but wouldn't send/receive anything.

All I did was restore the phone in iTunes and it worked after that.

R