3G vs 3GS vs 4G marketshare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcardarella, Sep 3, 2011.

1. bcardarella macrumors newbie

I'm doing some iPhone development and let's just say developing to run on the 3G is starting to feel like developing for Internet Explorer. IMO it's an outdated model. I'm trying to convince my client that the amount of effort I'm putting into supporting the 3G is not worth the time. I would be able to make a stronger case if I had some concrete numbers to show just how many potential 3G iPhone customers there are vs the more recent models. Does anybody know where I can find this info?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've never seen Apple distribute that information.

But what I do know/can tell is that Apple will soon stop supporting the iPhone 3G all together. The last update the iPhone 3G got was iOS 4.2.1, most apps in the App Store are still iOS 4 tested, but with iOS 5 just around the corner that will soon be the new minimum requirement (meaning the iPhone 3G will no longer be able to download newer apps that has been test for iOS 5 or higher).

So at this point the iPhone 3G is a dead platform to support, but the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 will support iOS 5 just fine (meaning these two devices are to vital).