3G, WiFi, E

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SuperKat, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SuperKat macrumors regular

First few weeks w/ iPhone. I know you can opt to turn the WiFI off and use 3G, but what's this "E"?
    I've been trying to look it up, sorry for newb question. :eek:

Kat

2. Rmurphy36 macrumors newbie

The Edge network was ATT's first data network, the 3G is a great improvement on it. You can make your battery last longer by turning off WIFI and 3G if you are not doing data.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Doing data means searching the internet, using maps, using weather and anything that you need a connection to the Internet for. Texting is also data but the speed is not majorly affected 2G (EDGE) vs. 3G.

David

4. Resist macrumors 68030

If Texting uses the data plan then why does AT&T charge us extra for text? This should be part of the data plan!

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Because they can. Its actually a technical reason based on how it establishes a new data connection for every ingoing/outgoing text, which does place a small demand on the network, but basically its just because they can.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Last I checked, AT&T wasn't using GPRS transit for SMS, so it's not actually "using data" in the same way that browsing or sending e-mail is.

7. SuperKat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks,
    It goes to Edge on it's own though? I see it pop up when WiFi is on, right?

K

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Since it falls into the data category more than the voice, it's considered data. But you are right, it is a little confusing.

David

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Uh... no. It doesn't.

SMS messages can be transmitted to/from the SMSC via GPRS, but most carriers don't use that form of handset-SMSC transit.