3G/Wifi Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Joker, Oct 29, 2008.

1. The Joker macrumors newbie

When I'm connected to Wifi....should I disable the 3G to save power? Or is that unnecessary?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's all personal preference I would believe. I am not sure, but I am guessing that if your iPhone is using wifi rather than 3g to transfer data, it is not really using that much power since you aren't actually using 3g. But I am not 100% sure.

3. The Joker thread starter macrumors newbie

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

It would probably take more battery disabling the 3g than you'd save by switching it off. Not to mention the hassle involved in that! You'd have to be fairly patient to be arsed with that.

For what it's worth, if I'm in uni all day, I can be connected to wi-fi from 9am until 5.30pm and, with 3g on and minimal actual usage of the phone, I'll still come home with a full battery indicator*.

So it's certainly not a deal breaker.

* In contrast to what I said in another thread about my crappy battery life! It appeared to sort itself out after a few days of owning it.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have WiFi at home and at work. So when I am at either place it automatically connects to the network using WiFi. All the other times it is on 3G. I don't even think about it, it just connects to either one. I think switching 3G off and on is an added step that is really not necessary. I have never had any battery issues. I just dock the phone at night, and the next morning it is good to go for the day.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3G will use the most power when it's being accessed for a call, data transfer, or acquiring a 3G signal.

If you are getting 3G service where you also have wi-fi, just leave the 3G on. It won't dramatically make a difference in battery life.

Turn off location services or lowering the brightness on your screen will make a bigger difference.

7. bigmouth macrumors 6502

How strong is your 3G connection? If it's weak or constantly switching back and forth from EDGE, this might make sense. Otherwise, I can't imagine the hassle being justified by the marginal increase in battery life.
    This is my experience too.