3G WiFi won't work, hardware problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dimarco, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Dimarco macrumors member

I have a 16G 3G and my WiFi hasn't been working. It won't pick up any networks, yet it says it is on and looking for a network. Do I have a hardware problem, or is there something else besides resets that I can do? I have reset the whole phone twice.

2. luvu01 macrumors regular

can you be more specific? what version your iphone on? jailbreak or unlock?
    try reset network in the setting

3. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

where is the wifi signal coming from? can you access from another device or computer?

4. Cheaptrick macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar issue.

I was on FW 3.0.0 and my iPhone would not detect any wireless networks. The list was empty.

I read somewhere (at 2am so the details might be off) to fix it :
    click on "other" -> make up a network name and try to connect to it 20 times (literally 20+ times) when you go back to the network list; your network should now show.

Today I upgraded to FW 3.1.3 in hopes to fix the wifi, but it again is broken and now my old fix won't work.

I've tried different routers, WEP/WPA, no encryption, resetting network settings, resetting router, resetting iphone... any other ideas?

5. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Reset network settings or restore in DFU mode. If nothing works you probably have a bad wifi radio. Take it to Apple.

Saying Beetlejuice 3 times won't make him appear. Making a network 20 times won't make wifi appear either.

7. Cheaptrick macrumors newbie

Yes i'm JB. 3.1.3 2G iPhone.

Since on 3.1.3 wifi has never worked. I'm going back to 3.0 tomorrow, if it works again its software, if not it's hardware.

I used redsn0w for FW3.0 and sn0wbreeze for FW 3.1.3 ... maybe is sn0wbreeze, but i doubt it.

And I understand how completely "noobish" my first fix sounded, but I'm fairly certain it was either that or dumb luck that fix that got my wifi working. And if you're at the point where you're pulling your hair out over this - connecting to a fake network 20 times isn't going to do any harm ... ... ... to the phone.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, I didn't realize that actually worked for you. Anyway, that makes no sense why it would. Do you have a link to this? Was there an explanation why they thought this would work?

9. Dimarco thread starter macrumors member

version 3.1.3 not jail broken or unlocked. I'm on the wireless network, that I would like to connect to using my Iphone, typing this on my MBP.

Edit: Also I don't think I can take it to Apple considering 2 of my friends had broken Iphone 3g's and I simply used parts from both to make one work.

10. Cheaptrick macrumors newbie

I'll look for the site again, but like i said it was 2am. And I don't think there was any logic to their solution, just sheer desperation.

*update*
    I went to 3.1.2 with redsn0w. Still no wifi.
    Went to 3.0 with redsn0w and still no wifi.

Looks like i get to learn how to replace a wifi atenna...

11. Dimarco thread starter macrumors member

Hook me up with how to do it also if you find a way to do it. I haven't really looked into it yet.

Thanks
    -Dim

12. iFixYouri macrumors member

If you need a walk through on replacing the antenna, let us know. We'll be glad to post one(pics and all). Sucky thing is that sometimes replacing the antenna doesn't always fix the wifi issue.

13. Dimarco thread starter macrumors member

Well I have another scrap 3g that a friend gave me I can use for parts; and I know the wifi antenna works on it. so I wouldn't really be wasting any money or anything. I would really appreciate help on this, pics would be great.

-Dim

14. ILikeToJB macrumors member

This. You should not have done this because

A. You voided you warranty.
    B. The 3G and 3GS use different parts in most areas.

15. Dimarco thread starter macrumors member

What? They are both 3G, and I never had a warranty considering I didn't buy the phones. Like I said I used parts from 2 of my friends phones, to make one phone.