3G Wireless Cards

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Axemantitan, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

I was reading here about 3G wireless cards that plug into an ExpressCard slot and it said this:

Does this mean that you can access the internet from a cellular network for free or do you have to subscribe to regular cell phone service to receive internet service on your laptop? Does this work only in the US or can you take it overseas and get internet access there, as well?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

No, not free. Not anywhere close to free.

International availability depends on the provider. Who's your phone company?

3. Mangaroo macrumors regular

i wonder if u can use the details from the iphone connection?

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wha?

Nope, it's a whole different setup.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Someone should have an app to link the iphone 3g with your laptop. Maybe someday.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah....

You should do some reading. It's not a software problem.

7. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Sprint. Does this only work with AT&T? Would I have to call them and order it and then go into the Network System Preferences and set it up appropriately?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't matter who you have; you can go to a provider such as Sprint or AT&T, buy a 3G ExpressCard or a 3G USB adapter, sign a 2 year contract and get the service; it's $60 a month plus taxes and fees; also the bandwidth is "capped" at 6GB a month; they don't really stop you and charge you, but they will monitor your account if you go past that "cap" and ask you to stop abusing the network.

Well you can order it on the phone or go to store and buy it; when you get the card, you install the connection utility and connects from there.

The other way is to tether, but that's a technically a violation of your agreement if you catch you; for help on that stuff to www.howardforums.com

9. Fabiano macrumors regular

$60 per month, are u sure? Here in Brazil I pay 94 BRL (US$ 60 or so ) taxes included, for a 2Mbps 3G plan, unlimited download, only 1 year contract. Also they give me a USB modem for free. I know Im paying too much, but I expected that in US it would be much more cheaper and better service... :eek:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I'm sure; I'm paying for it right now... I do have a FAN account though, so I get 15% off my bill. Well after rebates a USB modem is free; I went for the ExpressCard modem because I find the USB one to be too bulky. As I said they market it as 6GB cap, but I called them and they said they don't really cap--they have that so people don't abuse the network and it's their out-clause.

Our 3G network is pretty crappy if you ask me.

11. Fabiano macrumors regular

and what is the bandwidth of your plan (Mbps) ?

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OP used "free" and "cellular" in the same sentence. WOW, that was a good laugh.

Nah, it ain't free. I think AT&T's is $60/month, which is a complete ripoff unless you're using it as your primary connection, which I think they won't even let you do. If you have a phone that you can tether (the iPhone is not one of them), you can add the 3G stuff for another $30/month to your phone bill.

Oh yeah, you also have to sign a contract or pay about $200 for the card. It's AT&T, did you expect to get something free without a contract? :)

13. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Sierra Wireless 875U (USB) on ATT

THe card was $199 and the service was two year commit at $60 per month but it is nearly as fast as DSL and it increases the hell out of my productivity. It is also more secure than WIFI. I frequently use it instead of wifi even when wifi is available. Trust me on this one.

It plugs into either of my USB ports. I usually use the on on the left.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With good signal 1500/1000 sustained.

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

You can - if you buy an unlocked wireless card, you can put your iphone / att sim in and get internet that way.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't need an unlocked one; any one from AT&T will do, but if you're going to spend the money, you mind are well buy the unlocked one.

17. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Laughing at someone else is completely uncalled for. How would you like someone to do that to you? Act grown-up or don't reply at all.

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

I just wish there was a way to sign on to these services without the 2 year contract. I would love to use it as a backup as my internet connection has been out for days at a time before and a wireless connection (other than my mobile phone) would have been an excellent backup.

Are there any sane ways of buying a card to activate/deactivate based on need without paying through the nose on a per megabyte basis?