3G with 3.1.2 and I get no bars..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dadeleine, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Dadeleine macrumors member

used 3G running 3.1.2 (via iTunes update a week ago). I've pwn'd it and created the custom IPSW. I then custom restore with iTunes and it shows no bars after the process. Homescreen is mine, photos, apps etc. but I get no bars.
    I believe it was a FIDO (Canada) phone and I need to go to Rogers. Both are GSM. I've tried redsn0w, I've tried Pwnage. Hell, I even thought about (but didn't) try ziphone.

any help would be great. It's my wife's 'new' phone. I've unlocked several iPhone succefully...maybe I've lost my touch!

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Did you make sure you deselected Activate in the jailbreak process if you used Pwnage Tool? I'm not sure if you still have to do this but I do know that back in 2.0 you had to deselect Activate if you were on AT&T as iTunes activates the iPhone after the custom restore.

DPA

3. Dadeleine thread starter macrumors member

thanks...but there is no 'activate' option. I've since tried Fyzzyband but it won't work on my 5.8 bootloader?

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I'm not sure if it's still an option with the new Pwnage Tools. Just a thought I had. I haven't jailbroken an iPhone since 2.0 so I'm not familiar with the new Pwnage Tools and their features. I hope someone else can help you figure this out. Worse case I can think of is you have to re-jailbreak.

DPA

5. Dadeleine thread starter macrumors member

so after a few more attempts, I find I have baseband 5.9 (according to the Fuzzyband app in Cydia). On my phone, it ways 'modem firmware 05.11.07'.
    I'm stumped.

any ideas? Seeing as how this was a present for the wife, it should actually work no?

iPhone 3G 8gig, running 3.1.2 (7D11).

thanks!

6. Dadeleine thread starter macrumors member

I ran blackra1n and it said it was a success. I then went into DFU and restored via iTunes to 1_2_3.o firmware but it still won't work. In settings>general>about it still reads as 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07.

what on earth is going on? I can't restore with a pwn'd custom restore file, I can't downgrade to 3.0 or 2.2.1. I can't use Fuzzyband, blackra1n, pwnage.

this used to be almost easy!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you have a tethered JB.
    Run blackrain twice.
    Once it shows the connect to itunes icon on the screen run the blackrain program again.

8. Dadeleine thread starter macrumors member

thanks all.
    Ran blackrain, then the iPhone app and all good.

9. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I don't think OP has a tethered jailbreak phone, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to use the custom IPSW the first time.

For the OP: in the future, when you use PwnageTool, use the Advanced mode. Then you'll see the checkbox for "Activate the phone" under the first section of the advanced settings (which I think is called "General"). You only need to have that checked if you have a SIM-locked phone and you are planning to use it with a carrier other than the one that the phone was purchased from and is SIM-locked to.

If you are trying to use the phone on a different carrier, and it is locked, then you should LEAVE "activate" checked, and after restoring the custom IPSW, you will need to install some kind of unlocking app at that point (either ultrasn0w [for BB 04.26.08] or blacksn0w [for 05.11.07] depending on your baseband version) before you see "bars of service" on your phone.

Glad to hear you eventually got it working.

-- Nathan