3G with 3.1 & blackrain unlock, dropping network. Do I go to devteam?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by teadigger, Mar 9, 2010.

1. teadigger macrumors member

Hi I have posted because I can not find a search that matches my strange problem. will give you the full details, I got the phone through friend of friend for my wife they claimed it would not recognise any sim.
    Got phone and Blackrain was installed but not completed. Easy fix I thought ran set up installed cydia and snow unlock. Phone worked after some fiddling on Orange. since I have had the Network lost, tried the reset all settings sim in and out ect, tried sim from my iphone no joy. Is it a software clash with 3.1
    what next?

3G

Running firmware 3.1/7C144

Would it be best to unlock from the devteam as it seems more stable. No dis-respect to geohot as he sounds a genius. I am on mac so will I need download correct firmware for unlock. I am new to all this, so advice in baby steps please. many thanks teadigger

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The Dev team didnt put out an unlock for the 05.11.07 baseband. Just the previous one with ultrasnow.
    Only option is to use blacksnow.
    I'd suggest a restore to factory 3.1.2 and then run redsnow to JB and then install blacksnow thru cydia to unlock.

3. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

can I download from iclarified

Currently my mac wants to change it to 3.1.3 do i need to down load 3.1.2 from iclarified and then follow redsnow jailbreak. I presume I need to restore using the iclarified firmware before I run red snow. Do I need get rid of blackrain which allowed the jail break, although I uninstalled it when loading the JB it is now currently running CYDIA on the phone. Asking because will it cause a clash.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont let it update thru itunes to 3.1.3
    You will lose your unlock.
    Yes restore to 3.1.2 from iclarified.
    Once you restore everything will be gone and you will start from scratch so you dont have to remove anything before you do it.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7429

5. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

final question i hope

Am I correct in that I have to download to a desktop file through firefox as it allows the firmware onto my mac, where as safari may cause some problems. Is the unlock un tethered.
    Is it best to do the unlock through usb, cannot remember what is what i have read so many different forum reports over past two days, unlock methods ect my brain is fried.
    Thank you so much for your straight forward plain english advice, my faith in human kind is restored. many thanks teadigger

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you are correct about the firefox.
    3G models are always going to be untethered. Tethered jailbreaks are only on latest bootloader 3GS models.
    Im not sure what you mean to do the unlock thru usb.
    Once you JB you open up cydia and install blacksnow.
    You can download BlackSn0w from Cydia and unlock your iPhone this way.

Simply add the following repo in Cydia: blackra1n.com.
    Then in Cydia, look for BlackSn0w. Install the application
    and reboot your iPhone.

Congrats, your iPhone is now unlocked!

7. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

oh if were that easy

Hi downloaded firmware to 3.1.2 and tried to get RedSnOw and it keeps telling me (not found 404) In firefox. Any idea? I am going to give it in for the night shortly before my eyes fall out and i beat my head several times on the desk. Many thanks teadigger P.S (blackrain is looking good again on 3.1.2)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure the file u download for firmware 3.1.2 ends in .ipsw and not in any other format like .zip
    if it's not rename it yourself to .ipsw

9. oren1 macrumors member

It is incorrect.
    You can download with Safari. Just go to Safari -> Preferences -> Disable open "safe" files after downloading, and you are good to go.

Blackra1n doesn't work well on firmware 3.1 (I have a friend with the same issues), I think it designed to work only on 3.1.2 but I might be wrong.

10. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

what am I doing wrong

Well new day and same problem i have downloaded firmware 3.1.2 on to my desktop and restored iphone all good. I have been trying to get the Redsnow download of iclarified and it comes up with NOT FOUND 404, I have tried option click and it just moves an empty zip file, which I then cannot open. Am I being a thicky and not understanding my mac or file transfer. Or do I just go for the blackrain which looks easier download and may work better with the new 3.1.2 and if it fail go and try the redsnow route again. good things are worth wait for I guess, but I will be grey by the time I sort this out.
    Thanks teadigger

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its not just you bro. The download link is down so noone can download it at the moment.
    You can search on google or torrent sites for Redsnow for mac or go with blackrain.

12. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

Thats done the job

Thanks so much for the link ran just a treat, after a few schoolboy hickups, CYDIA installed. Just to add insult to injury my wifi is down, think a time cap may be in order. when I UNLOCK does the sim I am going to use need to be in the phone and do I do a rest all settings before or after unlock. So many questions for what you prob do in your sleep, but I would rather do a correct the first. Than have the cake and ass party I had, because someone could not be bothered to read. well I suppose I got a cheap 3g out of it. Your assistance has been above and beyond. many thanks teadigger

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can leave the sim out. Install blacksnow then restart your phone and stick the sim in. It doesn't matter that much.
    You can reset network settings after the unlock.
    Good luck.

14. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

Can I ever get this sorted

After doing blacksnow unlock put sim in for a sort period couple mins had a orange signal WITH FULL BAR then the phone must have had 3g on and it tried to connect,bang signal went.
    Back once again still not working, I have re-installed 3.1.2. via pwange redsnow unlock then blacksnow. Put sim in orange signal after phone did the acaivating network may take some time. The phone says got orange network, NO SIGNAL BAR, it is running orange 5.1.
    I have tried reseting settings, sim out sim in, airplane on off ect. As I have seen the signal on it, could it be that the other half sim is bog standard mins and text, but saying that i have tried my 3G sim out of my iphone and no joy.
    Any one got any ideas I am not going to let the bloody thing get the better of me.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe get a new sim? You got the latest orange carrier settings installed thru te ipcc file?

16. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

whats this about

tried to go into network selection is on auto clicked orange and I get a Restricted network message saying cellular network is restricted, or choose a different network in settings, Got a dimiss or settings tab. Orange sim is fine as it is still working in the old phone. Beginning to get the better of me wish i just a set of standard settings. I assume I loose cydia if I ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very weird since the unlock works generally fine.
    I wonder if it's a hardware issue or what else it could be.

18. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

where next?

Hi any way off finding out if it is hardware, can I do any diagnoses to find the problem. Is it worth setting it into recovery mode or will itunes automatically update to 3.1.3.
    Is it just worth trying the O2 sim after re installing 3.1.2, as when I have done 3.1.2 install itunes says that the phone can not be recognised sim ect and have a job getting it to come up in itunes, I have to stick my current O2 SIM in.
    This is really turning into a cake and arse party.

19. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

last throw of the dice

If i go for a restore using DFU will I have no control over the firmware. Can I run anything in Cydia that will clean up, or look for hardware issues. Dont want to admit an fail attempt, as it has made call's and worked for about half a day; is it some setting I have just over looked. can any one give me a run down of settings for non 3g sim or point me in the right direction.
    This has to be something basic or it may be time to move phone on.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can do a DFU restore and shift-Click the restore button and point it to the 3.1.2 IPSW

21. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

is it on mac

on mac I assume that is option CLICK RESTORE will the downloaded version from iclarified be ok. Do you suggest I leave my O2 sim in as it is working with my 3g, so it activates on itunes. Then do redsnow and blacksnow or give blackrain ago again. That is the strange thing both red and blacksnow run and download no problem. its is just trying to tie down all the options and varibles it mat be causing a problem.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, option restore on macs.
    And yes leave the o2 sim so it activates after its done restoring officially and then JB.
    I'd go with Redsnow since it is a better JB.
    For the unlock your only option is blacksnow.
    I dont know why it keeps giving you problems.

23. teadigger thread starter macrumors member

Yes!

Last night i did another reset phone settings, for the last time. Put the sim in a pissed of kind of way, phone rebooted and lo and behold full signal bar.
    Has been running 24hrs so finger crossed.
    Once again thanks for the help.