3g with iOS 4.0.2 Software Update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cimmerian, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Cimmerian macrumors newbie

Cimmerian

I am still using iOS 3.3 on my iPhone 3g and thinking about updating it to iOS4.0.2. Is it safe to update it or is iOS4 still something I should avoid?

Thanks.

2. ip3g10 macrumors newbie

I upgraded from 3.1.3 and some apps do take longer to load. My first 3G had to be returned as it was unusable. The swapped phone hasn't had any problems. The benefits don't out weight the risk.

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Not Recommended!

My wife's 3G runs like a hot, battery-hungry slug ever since switching to iOS4. She has to keep the 3G antenna off and only use Edge so that her battery can survive more than 3-4 hours.

My project for today is, in fact, to try to find a way to hack her phone back to iOS3.x -- a move for which there is zero support from Apple. If you ask the "Genius" Bar about it, they stonewall and suggest buying a new phone. Not really super-cool.

Not everyone seems to have a terrible experience on iOS4 with the 3G, but keep in mind that un-ringing this bell is a real PITA. Choose wisely!

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

4. EbolaMonkey macrumors member

EbolaMonkey

I installed iOS4 on my 3G and it was a brick before the end of the month. The backup that was created when I installed iOS4 is nowhere to be found and I am now missing half my photo roll as well as every app/song that I have purchased in the last 2 years.

Not recommended.