3g?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laserbeam273, Feb 13, 2011.

1. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

How come having an internal 3G option is an improvement that no one really talks about? I'd love for them to have this given that the 15" don't have an expresscard slot anymore, it'd save me from having a fat USB sticking out my computer, which is a bit of a hassle when I'm trying to do work on a bus etc.

Any thoughts on whether we'll be seeing it soon? Or are we going to have to wait till all metropolitan centres are covered by wireless internet?

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I think you'll probably have to stick with the USB thing. Though with Lion, things could change. You never know. I doubt they'll go with 3G now though, it'll probably move up to 4G.

3. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Ive always thought of this too. But with 4G out on so many devices, and the devices being able to create their own wireless hotspot (use it almost every day on my rooted Evo) i dont see a need for them to make the macbooks 4G (or 3G) capable.

I used to think it was a great idea, but now it would just be too much with contracts the companies would have to have with each other and so on.
    There is wifi everywhere, usb internet like you have in the OP, and wireless hotspot capable devices coming out and getting bigger in the last ~8 months. So i think mobile internet will come in those avenues instead.

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Why don't you use internet tethering to share your 3G network from your smartphone?

5. laserbeam273 thread starter macrumors 6502

Key issue: I don't have a smartphone. Getting the iPhone is the dream but can't quite justify it at the moment.

My uni has wireless, haven't been bothered to try get access to it, but I suppose I should give it a go.

As for journeys to and from uni, guess I'll have to stick with the expresscard or usb if I upgrade my mac (early 2008 MBP 15" - back when they had expresscard slots). Thanks for the info though.