3GB or 4GB for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jneckert, Nov 30, 2007.

1. jneckert macrumors member

Is there a significant difference between 3.0GB or 4.0GB memory in MBP? Apple recommends equal pairing of sticks but I've read that the difference is not that much. Thanks.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

depends on what your going to do with it. i think that if you require memory intensive programs it would be best to matched. if your just looking for a little speed boost, i honestly don't think a lot of people would notice the difference between matched and unmatched.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

With the way prices have been of late. Get the extra 1GB for piece of mind. A recent post has 4GB for $110. If you are a major multi-tasker and use spaces then sure snap some up.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Where did you see that "Apple recommends equal pairing of sticks" ?

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I am not sure what you excactly mean by this:
    a) do you need confirmation from Apple that it's a good idea to use matching sticks?
    b) do you need confirmation in general or curious about what is meant?

For a), browsing their support site I honestly really can't find anything about them recommending matched sticks (their RAM-change guides for the MB and MBP are also outdated btw).
    For b), the type of RAM used in the Macbooks and MBPs is called 'Dual Channel' RAM which means they gain a performance boost if you have identical pairs.
    Detailed description here.

6. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Go with 4 Gb...you'll get extra life out of it.

Plus, down the road you'll wish you would have got 4, so you'll have to upgrade again!!!

7. sk8r527 macrumors member

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

No, he will just need to buy another 2 gb stick (provided he owns a SR MBP).

And the extra life, are you referring to battery life? Because we're talking seconds here if and only if the OP is experiencing disk swapping already (which means less HD activity when you go to 3 or 4 GB).

9. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Buying another 2 Gb is still upgrading...

I'm referring to longer life as in use of the computer. Its going to last him much longer into the future with more demanding apps and the such. Thats just pretty common knowledge.

10. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yes, but on the other hand, only upgrading 1 stick is preferrable if:
    a) He only can afford 1 stick.
    b) He only needs 3 GB ram now.
    c) He wants to save more money and only needs 3 GB. Buying the second stick later will save him more money in the long run.
    d) He wants two of those "Holy ****, now everything is running SO much faster!!" experiences.

Ah, see nobody knows that when you miss out on the 'computer' word in the middle of the 'extra life' sentence.

If you are being rude, try hopping down from that pedestal of yours and start explaining your points better. :)

11. jneckert thread starter macrumors member

I was looking for ram at OWC and came across this article:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/MacBook/Testing/Memory_Benchmarks

After spending $2000 on the MBP I was looking for any savings I could find, wondering if 3GB is ok, is 4GB overkill. But responses seem to indicate 4GB is the way to go with ram so cheap and to utilize the MBP. Thanks for all the help.

12. jneckert thread starter macrumors member

13. Smurfed macrumors regular

Yeap, Listen to this person, take advantage of the cheap deals especially on the 4GB for 39.99 thread on here.

You'll rest easier not having to worry :>