3GB per slot in new quads?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by the-lorax, Mar 11, 2009.

1. the-lorax macrumors newbie

It looks like optimism about going past 8GB on the new quads may be misplaced. From the way I read the Crucial website, each slot can handle 3GB only (!?). So even if 8 is artificial, does this mean you can go higher only be paying for 4GB sticks ($$$), and getting 3/4 of what you pay for (12GB)?

According to Crucial, Apple's specifications are that:

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-8500 with a maximum of 3072MB per slot.*
    *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Nope, Apple supports 4GB chips so that spec is mistyped.

3. the-lorax thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. It also says that for the 8-core. Still waiting for someone to test the limits of the quad-cores to see if 8 is really it, or if 12 or 16 is possible.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Not on the quad core systems. Apple clearly states the quad cores systems are limited to 8GB of RAM. From the Apple web site:

"Quad-core: Four memory slots supporting up to 8GB of main memory using 1GB or 2GB DIMMs"

"8-core: Eight memory slots (four per processor) supporting up to 32GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB DIMMs"

S-

5. the-lorax thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what they say, but a lot of folks think it might work anyway. They have certainly limited ram below what would physically fit in the past, but they have also stated limits that could be exceeded, so many of us are dying to see someone actually test this.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If there was no difference, why would they specifically say there was? It's not like it is a positive difference...

S-

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Because they make more money on the octo systems and can upsell for memory requirements.

8. fatespawn macrumors member

fatespawn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

In the same fashion they state "up to 4 TB of storage"

9. thelongmorrow macrumors member

I think they put the specs they put are ONLY what you can get in their store configuration options. IE you can get more then 4TB but they only offer 4. They SAY 8gb ram but you can probably get 4x4gb. People are only just receiving their new machines, so we wont know until it is tested.

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

When you guys find that 4GB DDR3 memory does not work on quad systems, I expect you to own up to the fact that your were all wet.

S-