3GB plan on AT&T, enough for random light use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PittsDriver, Mar 21, 2012.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I bought a 32GB wifi only iPad 3 but I am possibly wanting an AT&T version. I have heard LTE eats through data really quickly. Is this true? Can you disable 4G LTE an just use 3G?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes.

Yes.

And to answer your post title question, yes.

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

1). Using LTE won't use any more data than just 3G. Data is data. It just downloads faster. The reason people are using more is because they are doing more. Unless your useage habits change your data consumption will be the same.

2). Yes, you have the option to enable/disable LTE and still use 3G.

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I rarely use more than 250 mb with light random use, but I don't have 4GLTE.

5. jicka macrumors member

Most streaming video apps will scale the quality of video depending on the connection speed so if your streaming video on LTE it can use more data then 3G. Basic web surfing and downloading will use the same amount of data on either.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

But if you're loading pages faster you might end up looking at more pages too, thus using more data.

You DO burn through you battery faster when you're on LTE though... something to keep in mind. I don't know how much faster though...

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Are you positive? I am on LTE all day, and the difference between my iPad 2 battery life and this one is marginal at best; with comparable use mind you.

8. jicka macrumors member

True but at least you have an idea that if your loading more pages your using more data. The problem with streaming video on 4g is that people don't realize it's using more data than watching the same video on 3G thus going over their data cap. I had to explain this to my girlfriend last night when she wanted to watch a tv show on my LTE iPad lol.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

Should be sufficient for "random light use" as long as you don't stream videos.

10. nealh macrumors 6502

I don't get this kinda of post. LTE does not make you use more data, you just get it faster.
    Now if having a faster cellular service means you will use it in a different way, then yes you use more data. I use combination of Wi-Fi and cell. I real like having the option of the fast LTE.

Most usage is still Wi-Fi. I think 3gb is nice amount. I do not view many videos at all.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well this being my first LTE device I can't be positive... but from everything I've read LTE eats through battery life more quickly than 3G radios. So unless they've made a new low powered LTE radio one would assume so. On my old EVO Wimax would kill my battery in no time.

I've been keeping my iPad on 3G most of the time and I've gotten 4 hours short of a day and a half of usage out of this charge and I'm still at 22% right now.

----------

sticking to 3G when I stream videos... :p

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I'm switching back to EDGE or hooking up a 300-baud external modem, just to keep my data usage in-check :cool:

13. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

LTE eats through battery life on other devices but not on the new iPad. You should be able to get about 7-8 on LTE. Apple has been working on the technology to balance battery life with LTE to have a better experience. Other manufactures crammed a LTE chip in their device to try and 1-up iDevices without worrying about battery life. This is the reason there wasn't 3G in the original iPhone.

OP, 3GB is more than enough for "random light use." I'm on my iPad for hours a day at work on 3G and still on the 2GB plan and have never gone over. The only difference with LTE is that it's faster. It only consumes more when watching video because apps optimize the video for the connection. So if you have a super fast connection like LTE, the videos are better quality. But if you do just browsing and email, you should be fine. Save the video streaming for wifi if possible.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This...It works for me really.