3GB Ram vs 4GB Ram on 2.33GHZ Macbook pro....help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dextor143, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

I have been searching a lot and doing some reading to find out what to do to get better system performance. I bought my MacBook pro mid 2007 the configuration are 2.33GHZ, 2GB Ram. My system can only go up to 3GB Ram and has two slots to fill the ram. Currently, I have 1GB in each of them. Now the questions is

1. Should I put 1GB in one and 2GB in the other to make it 3GB total?
    2. Should I put 2GB in each to make it 4GB total?

I found out that matching pairs are good and if I put 4GB it will only use 3.2GB and the rest will be just unusable. If I put 3GB then it will not match but still gives you performance.

I have read goods and bads for both and now highly confused what to do? I want to request my Mac users to please give me some suggestions, hints and better reasons to apply.

I bought my system for $2700.00 when it first came out. Now do not think it is smart to sell it for $1200.00 (If I am lucky) and spend extra $600.00 to get 2.8GHz.

I can afford both rams as they are really cheap now. I use my mac for surfing, movies both online and offline, some time PS and Aperture, I do tends to have about 10 different apps open at the same time, for example ( Skype, Safari, PS, MSN, Yahoo, Ichat, ITunes, etc). I am also thinking about playing some games on my Mac such as Call of Duty, Fall out 3 and stuff.

thanks for reading and now waiting for your response.

2. Dextor143 thread starter macrumors 6502

8 readers no response................:eek::(:(:(

Comon people show me some love!!

3. no3tic888 macrumors member

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If you find a really good deal on 2 x 2GB sticks then I would go for that. Otherwise just swapping in 1 2GB stick will be 95% just as good since you are capped at 3GB (or 3.2 or whatever it is.)

The matched pair thing helps a little, but from everything I've read it's not a big difference.

Either way is much better than the 2GB you have now, especially if you run a lot of apps. The Activity Monitor app is good tool for seeing how much RAM is being used at any given time.

I once bought 2 x 2GB sticks for around $20 after rebate at Fry's, I think it was a Black Friday 1-day sale. Otherwise I see 2 x 2GB routinely for around $40 on sale IIRC. So at that price who cares if not all 4GB is being used?

5. Dextor143 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. no3tic888 macrumors member

7. Dextor143 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If you could do it, it would be more expensive than 2 x 2GB and I'm not sure there would be any benefit.