3GB to 5GB of RAM, much difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Glenn Wolsey, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Will another 2GB of RAM benefit me? I'm a rather heavy user of Aperture. I'm getting a lot of page outs, see attached image.

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well you are experiencing a lot of page outs so you do need more ram. I have no experience with this though and the main reason i was responding is

And you can edit the title, click "edit" and then "go advanced".

3. 66217 Guest

You still have about 2GB of RAM unused. So adding more won't help you much.

Not when going from 3 to 5. I moved from 1.25 to 2 and the difference was notorious, but chances are that the difference you would notice won't be worth the investment.

You should be able to change the title, just after clicking EDIT, click GO ADVANCED.:)

EDIT: I'm getting very slow at replying I guess.:eek:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I assumed that the screenshot wasn't taken when Aperture was actually being used. I'd imagine that when aperture is open it would take up more ram than that, however would need qualification from the OP. I was purely looking at the Page outs which is very very high and indicates the need for more ram as something in his workflow is really taking the ram to town.

5. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Just launched Aperture in this next screenshot, after about ten seconds on activity.

Attached Files:

6. 66217 Guest

When was the last time you restarted your Mac?

Since the number of page outs never decreases (it shows the number of pageouts since you booted your Mac), whether that is unusual or not depends on how long your Mac has been "up" and what you have been doing.

7. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I think the additional RAM would prove very helpful. When I went from 2 to 4, I noticed a lot less pageouts when I was using Aperture, PS and FCP. I can't wait for a new Mac Pro to take over what my MBP is currently doing.

Aperture alone is doing relatively well alongside my new RAM set-up. With the large sized files that Aperture manipulates, it is a natural resource hog requiring mucho RAM with matching GPU..

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I thought it was the difference between Ins Vs Out that was important (and page ins doesn't reset until a restart either) and in this case they are approximately equal which suggests a shortage.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I would suggest going through a normal workflow in Aperture and see how the ram changes. It would be best to see it real time rather than have to come out to dashboard. So get Activity monitor in a place you can see it, or a terminal window with the "top" (without quotes) command. If you go down the terminal route the number in brackets next to page outs in the actual number of page outs per second.

10. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Uptime is 2 days, 2 hours.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your page out ratio is almost 1:1

It should be looking more like 20:1

This tells us that you are exceeding your current amount of RAM pretty much continuously and paging out, so yes, the extra RAM should have an immediate effect.

Roco: an instantaneous reading of free and inactive RAM really doesn't mean a lot, overall. The PageOuts tell the story over the length of time that the OP has been working on the machine, and with the typical application load that they use.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I was beginning to think i had got it all wrong.

13. 66217 Guest

It's always good to learn something new.:)

I was thinking they worked in a different way.

14. termina3 macrumors 65816

What is a page in or out?

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Basically memory written to ram, each time memory comes in it is a page in, if there isn't ample space in the ram it has to be written to the HD (much much slower) and is called a page out. Hence the reason for page outs being bad as they are much slower.

(or at least that is the way i understood it)

16. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Thanks guys, will order an additional 2GB of RAM taking the Mac Pro to 5GB later this week. This still leaves me open to 12GB RAM max with additional 2GB sticks, or 20GB with 4GB sticks at a (much) later date.