3gbps SSD vs 6gbps SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by k43l, Mar 28, 2011.

1. k43l macrumors member

So, I'm currently thinking about getting an SSD for my 2011 15" Macbook Pro. And since the new Macbook Pros have a SATA 3 port, I kinda want to get a SATA 3 SSD (probably Vertex 3 ;).

So, my question is: will there be a noticeable speed difference between a SATA 2 (let's say, the new Intel 320 Series) and a SATA 3 SSD?

I mean... of course it's twice as fast in sequential write and read, but I'm just going to use it as an OS disk...

any thoughts on this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In everyday usage, the difference will be something between very little and no difference at all. Intels are the most reliable SSDs whereas OCZs and other SF-based SSDs have experienced some issues, especially with OS X. Might be something worth considering.

3. k43l thread starter macrumors member

ok, thanks!

I think I'll go for an Intel then...

4. smoldik macrumors newbie

i've been thinking about this too. I hope the prices of SATA II SSD's will drop down radically when SATA III SSD's overflow the market. But would I regret in future when I don't buy SATA III now?

5. abhic macrumors member

This may not be a consideration for you but I am wary of getting a 3rd party SSD just yet as OS X 10.6.7 doesn't support TRIM for them. It could just be a matter of months with WWDC in June & Lion poised to be released.

I would almost always go for the faster one so the SATA III one is my choice. There is only one SATA III port on the MBP & the optibay uses the SATA II channel. So if you do end up getting that, the upcoming Vertex 3 Pro is gonna be a killer with max throughput about 1.5-2x as per AnandTech.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TRIM Enabler

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Look at this chart from Anandtech's Intel 320 test. Anand says this test is the best representation of normal usage.. opening apps, saving files etc. As you notice, there is not much difference between SATAII and SATAIII drives in this test. If you just want to spend the extra money to have the very fastest drive, there is nothing wrong with that, but in normal usage you will not notice much if any difference.

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

^ But it'll make him feel better and give him bragging rights too :) (No sarcasm, I think it's pretty true)

Nonetheless, I don't think SATA 3Gbps drives will get cheaper due to them being 34nm chips. Most likely they will be phased out for their SATA 6Gbps successors. The Intel 320 X-25M G3, Vertex 2, and OWC's drives are what you got for SATA 3Gbps. (I don't think I've listed them all) But other SATA 6Gbps drives are coming out so soon and probably at equal prices as well as the current SATA 3Gbps so I say wait even though the performance difference isn't that noticeable. Plus, with the new controllers, there are more than just performance benefits.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Many brands have moved from 34nm flash to 25nm. OCZ's move is probably the most infamous (switched to 25nm without telling and also doubled the capacity of each NAND, thus halving the used channels causing a loss in performance).

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. OWC just did the same thing (also without announcing it) and the new Intel 320 went from 34 to 25nm NAND to save money.

11. k43l thread starter macrumors member

I think I'll wait another 2 - 3 weeks to see how the Vertex 3 works with the new Macbooks...

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

If I don't forget, I may be able to help with that. I've ordered a 240gb. I wish I knew when I'm gonna get it though. Amazon shipping says anywhere from April 5th to May 3rd.

Edit: Oops, wait I have 2010 MBP. So nevermind. I'm no help.