3gp files & iTunes

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Big Stevie, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Big Stevie, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Ive noticed I have a lot of 3gp files stored in the iTunes folder on my macbook hard drive, these won't appear in iTunes itself as I understand iTunes doesn't recognise this file type.

Im sure they used to appear in my iTunes so I've no idea why they are now 3gp?

I've just tried converting them in Handbrake but it won't recognise the 3gp file type either. Are there any recommended apps for converting 3gp files please?

2. Big Stevie, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Ive solved the problem. For some reason I had a bunch of different music files and videos that weren't showing up in iTunes, and wouldn't sync to my iPhone. They were located in the correct folder on my macbook hard drive that iTunes syncs to, but they wouldn't display in iTunes.

I went to Finder and opened up one of the folders that contained the music file, right click on the file and select Open With, then selected iTunes. This would open iTunes and appear to play the music file, but in a paused state.

I then went back to the the same folder under Finder but this time the file had gone, instead I found that a new folder called Unknown had been created, which now contained the music file. I then went back to iTunes > Music > Songs and the music file then appeared on the list. Then right clicked on it > Get Info and then clicked on the Details tab that appears in the box, and typed the correct Artist and Album details, then clicked OK.

I connected my iPhone and performed another sync, ensuring I ticked the relevant check boxes under Artist and Album, this time the file copied over with all the relevant details. I had to keep doing this until all the necessary music files were on my iPhone.