3GS, 3.1.2 , JB & Unlocked. ** NO 3G SIGNAL **

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sameermathad, Apr 2, 2010.

1. sameermathad macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS with 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07
    I have a untethered unlock on it and I am using it in INDIA.

I recently subscribed to 3G from a carrier in India called BSNL.
    I opened the 3G network settings and entered the apn, username, password etc info.3G was WORKING.

It worked fine for a couple of days. Then 3G vanished. It was neither showing 3G on screen nor i had a connection. After fiddling with it a little, i reset the network settings, rebooted and entered the info again. It started working again.

But the same problem occurred again. This time no matter how many times i reset the network settings/ reset the complete iphone settings/ number of reboots and using the same apn, un, pwd info.

Its still not working.

My question is whether Unlocked 3GS has problems with 3G connectivity.If yes, is there any resolution? Are there any other settings i need to take care of? like TCP IP stuff something????

The carrier does not seem to have any issues because it works fine for others on other smartphones. Unfortunately i haven't met others with BSNL 3G on an iphone. The problem seems to be software related coz it had worked before.

:apple:

P.S.: This is my first post on this site, I am sorry if i have violated any rules of posting. I looked for the problem, but the damn keyword trouble. Cant think anything better than "iphone 3gs 3g problems" and u can understand what it will return :p:D . Kindly ask me if you need anymore info about t fone, Will post...

Thanks
    Sam

2. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Let me guess, you used Balcksn0w to unlock it?

your symptoms sound common to people having network (3G, WiFi) problems with their 3Gs after unlocking it with Blacksn0w...This is the best I can do, I never unlocked my phone, so I am not too familiar with this situation, but reading many posts/threads here it sounds like you unlocked it with Blacksn0w and now oyu are having the same issues many people in the same boat as you are having...

I would search these forums Keywords: Blacks0w and unlock (unlocking)

hope I could somewhat of a help

3. mreddys10 macrumors regular

What version of Blacksn0w are you currently using? Can you connect to a wireless connection without any problems? Check this first. If you are using an old version of blacksn0w, then go to cydia, add this repo: cydia.pushfix.info and install blacksn0w RC2 from there. Do this, and let us know how things are.

On a side note, I am actually moving back home (India) in a couple of weeks. Which carriers have 3G now?

4. sameermathad thread starter macrumors newbie

I used blackra1n to unlock and jailbreak it and i think it was RC2 but m not sure about t version. Is there a way i can check tht? is RC3 already out?

And i had issues earlier with push and youtube. i used the push fix and it solved..though i dont use push, i get youtube.

I can connect to WiFI. No problems with that. Although sometimes it stops connecting and i have to refresh the connections by resetting them and it starts working. (that used to happen even for a non unlocked fone)

Only BSNL and MTNL have 3G in India as of now. MTNL is only in Bombay and Delhi. BSNL is in far more cities.Check www.bsnl.co.in for more info. I live in Hyderabad.

On a side note: My cydia says "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3" Is this an indication for some kind of software upgrade compatibility?

Thnx ppl
    Sam

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

@sameermathad. You used blackra1n RC2 to JB and blacksn0w to unlock.., not the same as blacksn0w RC2. Follow mreddys10 advice and it should help.

6. sameermathad thread starter macrumors newbie

Although i dont seem to understand how i can jailbreak and unlock with two different things. I will go ahead and use blacksn0w RC2 and check how it works out.

But jus for info, i think restored with 3.1.2 dump and used blackra1n on it and it was unlocked. I dont remember using blacksn0w.

Anyways, il do wht u guys say and let u know how it turns out. Peace.

7. sameermathad thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck guys

I installed the blacksn0w RC2 final from cydia. I still dont get the 3G icon on top.

even fiddled with my 3G network settings, still no luck.

Ne thoughts?

Running out of options.....................................

8. phrint macrumors 6502

The only other option that has worked for me is to install SBS settings and turn 3G on and off then on again to reset the connection. For some reason this option works better for me than going through Apple's menu. My phone will sometimes tell me that there is no service available at all so I will turn 3G on then off then on again and the system resets itself with a very strong 3G signal. This is just one of the annoyances of being unlocked but I need it to tether for a data feed to my MBP when I am out of wifi range.

9. sameermathad thread starter macrumors newbie

@phrint : tried that too. didn work..

is it a good option to install t software again?
    i am on 3.1.2 right now. which is a safe option?

10. sameermathad thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys

My 3G icon magically reappeared after i had to swap sims with my friend. When i put my original sim back on....boom...there it was....

I have no idea which of the permutations and combinations did it as i had swapped sims before as well...

but this thing only tells me thats its very much capable of vanishing again...

Able to surf on 3G now...but fingers crossed and wishing it will show some mercy on me...

Thanks a lot for your effort guys...

Wil post again if something happens....

11. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Sorry for the late reply. Good to hear that it works now. If it does go again, maybe you should think about getting a new sim card. I had problems (getting cellular signal) using my iPhone 3G with vodafone in india, but I got a replacement sim, and it seemed to solve the problem. I took a look at the link for BSNL that you gave, and they seem to be offering a 3G USIM. Thanks for the info btw :)

The SHSH that cydia tell you about are the versions that you can 'downgrade' to in the future if you need to restore again. Since you are currently at 3.1.2, and if something goes wrong, apple wont let you restore 3.1.2 and will force you to update to the latest Firmware. Because u have ur SHSH stored, you can point iTunes towards saurik's server and restore 3.1.2 FW.

12. phrint macrumors 6502

That's quirky but I am glad it worked for you. It's always nice to pick up those unintended fixes for future use if needed.