3gs 3.1.3 to 4.1 unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by snazy20, Nov 29, 2010.

1. snazy20 macrumors newbie

Okay, Ive read thousands of posts today and I want to upgrade to 4.1 (not the latest as I want untethered), and unlock. I have the baseband 5.12 at the mo..but not fussed going to 6.... if its easier. I'm using windows.

So, how do I do it? I've tried using redsn0w and got into dfu mode, but then itunes wouldn't recognise my custom firmware which I downloaded online. I've got all my shsh's and stuff..

Soooooo confused!! help?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Did you use Redsnow to put the phone into DFU mode? If yes, try getting another custom firmware file from another site.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You're using the wrong redsn0w I'm guessing. You need Redsn0w 0.9.5b5. Then try your custom iPhone1,2 4.1 ipsw.

4. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses :)

I've tried redsnow version you mentioned above, and what I've been doing is (read it on iclarfied) when asked to browse for CURRENT firmware..selecting the downloaded version from apple of 4.1?

However, now it is unable to recognize specified ipsw..

Before, I was getting into dfu mode through redsn0w, so will set another custom firmware to download now (any recommendations?).

Does what I'm doing sound right?

Thanks

5. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried a different custom firmware from another site (using redsn0w 0.9.6b4), and it got to preparing to restore on itunes, but then came up with

'the iphone could not be restored. unknown error occurred (13)'

I'm tearing my hair out..I should have mentioned I'm currently jailbroken with spirit on 3.1.3..

Please help! I don't mind just upgrading to stock 4.1 (if I knew how, tried unsuccessfully just!), because I spent soo much time today on it :(

6. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

I was about to post a question about this too--guess we will learn together..ol

Im on 4.01 BB 5.13.04 and want to go to 4.1--

I have to DL a custom 4.1 file from someplace and put on desktop right?

then whats the next few steps on the process using Itunes?

7. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Use Pwnaxgetool (Mac) or Redsnow (Windows) to put phone into special DFU mode. Then, restore with custom firmware file through iTunes.

8. beaumk macrumors member

one on the iclarified will be okay??
    it says on file name only restore not custom restore

9. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes hopefully we get their together!

So I'm going to try using different versions of redsn0w with the 2 different custom firmwares I got and fingers crossed I get somewhere!

The firmwares on iclarified are from apple, so the actual firmwares i believe (which I use when browsing with redsn0w)

10. snazy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I got somewhere!

I remember reading, don't always update itunes, so I've been trying to do this on Itunes 9.1, but just now I updated to 10.1 and it seems to be working :) got the apple logo with progress bar on screen..using my custom firmware, so hopefully my baseband will be preserved too and I'll be on 4.1.

Thanks for the help :)

11. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Yeah. You need iTunes 10 to install 4.1 firmware. And, you are right to now install a new version of iTunes right after release, but only after getting OK from Dev Team. They usually give the OK shortly afterward.

12. iLover1 macrumors member

being there done that.

:D i upgraded to 4.2.1 via itunes then jailbroke using redsnow on windows vista, downloaded ultrasnow and unlocked, untethered not battery drainage, mms enabled, b tooth enabled, everything checks out just fine. any questions feel free to ask. the only hiccup is that cidya does not let me install my own wall papers, but this is something i can live with. :)