3GS acting out of norm

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lgwells1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I bought this 3GS 32GB just a few months after they came out in 09. I am now just recently starting to have issues with it.

I am running iOS 5 Beta 7

When the phone gets low on battery it will start to act up. It will randomly shut off, not a big deal. Now when it gets low on battery power it it randomly shut off and then either go into restore mode and I have to reinstall iOS 5. Or it will be stuck on the Apple logo and stuck in a boot loop.

The last time it was stuck on a boot loop was Saturday, I had to leave it on the wall charger for at least an hour or two. Then I had to reinstall the OS.

This phone has to last me until the next iPhone comes out, and I would also like to keep it around to doing testing on an App I am creating.

Any tips or tricks to stop this from happening or at least get it out of the boot loop and not have to restore would be amazing.

Thanks

2. iG0tB00ts macrumors newbie

It's a beta, you might be the unlucky one with the bugs. Go back to iOS 4 and try. :)

3. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I forgot to mention it has been doing this since iOS 4 released, just a real random thing. It usually happens when the battery is at 60% or less.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go back to stock/non-beta firmware.
    And restore and setup as new.
    You might be using a corrupt backup file.

5. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have done this in the past with no luck.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Well it happened again today. It seems like it does this when I am out of town. Last time was in IL, this time was in STL.

Any idea what kind of hardware/software issue would cause a phone to go into recovery mode randomly while out of town.

8. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

It did it again tonight while at Best Buy. It is currently stuck in recovery mode(USB to iTunes). I tried Tiny Umbrella to bump it out of Recovery Mode, but it just automatically enters it.

I will be watching this thread like a hungry hungry hippo with white balls in front of its mouth. So any help tonight would be amazing. As I need my phone tomorrow and would rather not have to reinstall and lose my information.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Beeing out of town or in town has nothing to do with it.
    You got a hardware issue with the phone.
    Your guess is as good as anyones.
    If you restored and setup as new and still goes into recovery then some part needs to be replaced or the whole phone.

10. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I was hoping for it to last until the fifth gen iPhone comes out.

11. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Are you using an Apple original charger, or a third party knockoff? You could have fried the power management chip by using a cheapo charger. Although, it sounds like you should be good to go if you install a new battery. Ifixit has a guide on it, so you can determine if it's worth the effort or not. Batteries are less than $10, if it matters.

12. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I have always used an Apple charger, or my Macbook, Macbook Pro. I have used the car charger from AT&T a handful of times with in the past year since I have bought it.

UPDATE*****

My iPhone 3GS 32GB early build, has been stuck in the Recovery Screen with all attempts of me restoring it have failed.

I tried downgrading to 4.3.5, I tried downgrading to 4.3.5 in DFU mode. I tried reinstalling Beta 7, and in DFU mode. I installed iTunes on my bootcamp Win 7 Ultimate, and downloaded a new ispw from Apple. Nothing.

Errors

When restoring to Beta 7: the iphone iphone could not be restored. this device isn't eligible for the requested build.

When restoring to 4.3.5: 1015 or iTunes crashes.

Either way in the end the iPhone returns to Recovery Mode, Recboot and Tinyumbrella has not helped.

13. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

UPDATE***

I edited my Hosts file, found some lines that should not have been there. I took a restore to iOS 5 B7, but still getting 1015 when I DFU and then restore to 4.3.5....gay

14. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I found out that there was some unwanted stuff in the "Hosts" file, deleted that crap and iTunes okayed a restore to iOS 5B7.

I have Beta 7, and when I went into settings I found out that I had a new update. Update to Beta 7. :confused:

15. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

My phone just randomly shut off and entered recovery mode again. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing random shuts downs followed by recovery mode.

Please do not ask me to install the latest iOS as I have tried that, and it does nothing to help.

I believe it to be hardware, I just need to know what part would be the culprit.

Usually does this around 80% battery or less if that helps.

16. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Happened again tonight, while I was out of town. I am telling you guys, it happens more often then not when I am out of the city. As of right now, it sits on my desk in Recovery Loop. I tried tiny umbrella, nothing. I tried rebooting with redsn0w, nothing.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well stop leaving town then.
    The iphone knows about it and gets homesick:D

18. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I wish lol

I think I am going to spend some money on a new battery and see what that cures. I cannot think of what is causing this issue.

19. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

While you are in there look for some lose or rusty battery connections. I think you are tempting fate running beta on this, do a pwned DFU to iOS 4.3.5 and stick with that until 5 is actually ready.

20. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Do I need to reinstall a non beta itunes to do so? I tried a PWNed DFU mode and I get a 1015.

21. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Just use canned air, upside down, and spray it all over. Icing the innards will make sure you keep them preserved for a while until someone comes up with a great solution. ;):D

22. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I just listed it on Craigslist, some guy offered 75...lol. Turns out I am going to a wedding in STL at the end of next month. So maybe I can swing by an apple store.

BTW What is a 1 owner 32 GB 3GS White, with a cracked back case, scratches , and sometimes a tough home button, what would it be worth?

23. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Happened again, I was getting my golf on and it shut off. I turned it back on, it went to the apple logo and then immediately to Recovery Loop. wtf

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get rid off it dude.
    If you get anyone offering $100 or so grab it and run.

25. lgwells1, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!!!! :D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::eek::eek::confused:

When jail breaking RedSn0w always asked which boot rom I had, old or new. I assumed by there description I had a old boot room. Today for ***** n gigs I tried selecting that I have a new boot rom. It still shuts off around 79-83% battery life, but it will reboot once I plug it in. NO MORE RECOVERY LOOP!!!! dothehustle.jpg

Now I just need to solve the shutting off at around 80% battery life issue. Which I honestly think is just a bad battery issue.

100 bucks really? I was hoping I could hock it for more, now that it isn't entering recovery loop anymore.