3Gs Activation Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maximilianaire, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Maximilianaire macrumors newbie

My 3Gs will be delivered tomorrow to replace the Blackberry I am currently using from AT&T. However, I must continue to use my Blackberry until the end of the month. I was wondering if I will be able to use my iPhone as a touch until then or if I can activate it and then switch my SIM card back to my Blackberry.

Does anybody know how iTunes activation usually works or the functionality of an iPhone before it is activated?

2. exhibit.b macrumors regular

Activate it and then just switch the sim card out.

But, why do you have to use your blackberry until the end of the month?

3. mac-mania macrumors member

You're in a real pickle.

See the problem is, if you don't activate your iPhone pretty close to immediately, at&t is going to throw a hissy fit and possibly charge you the full cost of an unsubsidised iPhone.

However, if you activate your iPhone and switch out SIM cards, it will disable your blackberry "SOC" code on your account and replace it with the Apple iPhone SOC, which is normally OK, accept in this case that will disable your access to Blackberry Email because our at&t BIS server requires Blackberry Personal or Enterprise on the account.

I would call up Customer Service (611) and let them know about your situation, find out how many days you have to activate the iPhone and/or see what they say, I'm just a rep, I'm not an expert.

4. Maximilianaire thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to use my blackberry because I need BBM to communicate internationally for two more weeks.

Thanks I will talk to them