Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomasba58

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
London, England
I've currently got a Factory unlocked 3GS (new bootrom and 05.16.05) on 5.01 JB'd and I'm about to give this to the wife. I get a few lockups and strange reboots with this since moving up to 5.01 and as the wife isn't interested in a JB'd phone I was wondering if there's any point going up to an unJB'd 5.1 or if the wise heads on here would suggest going back to say 4.something
your views oh wise one's!

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I've currently got a Factory unlocked 3GS (new bootrom and 05.16.05) on 5.01 JB'd and I'm about to give this to the wife. I get a few lockups and strange reboots with this since moving up to 5.01 and as the wife isn't interested in a JB'd phone I was wondering if there's any point going up to an unJB'd 5.1 or if the wise heads on here would suggest going back to say 4.something
your views oh wise one's!

The point in upgrading to 5.1/5.1.1 would be to revert back to stock, since you said it yourself that your wife doesn't want a Jailbroken iPhone.

Thomasba58

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
London, England
The only way to downgrade to older firmware versions on a 3GS is by having shsh blobs for those versions.
Without those you can never restore to older firmware.

Sorry I should have said before I have blobs going right back to 3.1.3
I guess what I'm trying to find out is what's the considered view on here of the best OS for a 3GS
also if I do go back can I just download the appropriate version and then restore to that or do I have to do something more complex?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry I should have said before I have blobs going right back to 3.1.3
I guess what I'm trying to find out is what's the considered view on here of the best OS for a 3GS
also if I do go back can I just download the appropriate version and then restore to that or do I have to do something more complex?

With the 3GS I dont think it slowed down as bad.
But if you want to try a few older versions to get the feel go for it. Some of the apps might not work on older ios versions though.
For anything 5.0 and higher you need to stitch your blobs to a custom ipsw.
Anything below 5.0 you can just download the firmware, make sure your hosts point to cydias server and restore by selecting the old ipsw using itunes.
You might need to kick the device out of recovery when done restoring using TU or redsnow.

Thomasba58

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
London, England
With the 3GS I dont think it slowed down as bad.
But if you want to try a few older versions to get the feel go for it. Some of the apps might not work on older ios versions though.
For anything 5.0 and higher you need to stitch your blobs to a custom ipsw.
Anything below 5.0 you can just download the firmware, make sure your hosts point to cydias server and restore by selecting the old ipsw using itunes.
You might need to kick the device out of recovery when done restoring using TU or redsnow.

Thanks so much for that you've been really helpful. So just to be sure if I'm reading your post correctly....... as I'm on 5.01 at the moment if I want to go back I need to "stitch my blobs to a custom ipsw"

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
You can use TinyUmbrella to downgrade your firmware. Or you can use Redsn0w to stitch your blobs to the correct IPSW. Then restore through iTunes.

iOS 5.1/5.1.1 is fine on the 3GS.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks so much for that you've been really helpful. So just to be sure if I'm reading your post correctly....... as I'm on 5.01 at the moment if I want to go back I need to "stitch my blobs to a custom ipsw"

No, stiching is only needed when you need to restore to firmware 5.0 and higher.
If you downgrade to anything lower than 5.0 you dont need to stitch, just restore using TU or by editing your hosts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.