Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coconutxyz

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
random crash and reboot with 20% drain in airplane and lowest brightness standby mode in 7 hours

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I think it seems speedier, but my 3GS has had some quirks...

the Gmail account could not be accessed. Had to reset my password.

My character count in my text messages no longer functions. I always try to avoid sending texts that are only one or two characters trailing off the 160 character limit. Now I have no way of knowing!

Just enable it under settings -> messages

PlaysARobin

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Upgraded to 5 a few days ago and heres my observations...

Battery life still blows. From about 9am with my normal use (standby much of the day, used during lunch, periodically elsewhere) my battery will be toast by 5-6pm. Its only a hassle when I'm away from a chance to charge most of the day. Has only died a couple times on me and it was never life threatening, of course.

Had to delete a TON of text messages/conversations in order to get new ones to come in. Was probably time to do so, obviously. Not sure why I never delete them anyway. Heck, my wife and I, our conversation goes back to january 08 or something. On ios5 I can't get it to load beyond about two months ago without being a absolute tooth pulling crawl.

When I open my text messages I can typically type my entire message before the keyboard/text even begins to show up. Its scary how good the muscle memory is as its rarely mistyped. It is annoying though as I have to wait of course before sending so I can catch mistakes.

For some reason my contacts have all disappeared. Didn't notice until today. Texts from people (I deleted most so they started fresh) I've text before showed up with their name no problem. People can call and their info shows up, just as it was stored however when I go to my contacts the whole list is blank. My favorites are still in tact as well. Just no contacts in my contact list.

I DO like the sms tones, the new way sms messages appear, notification center alone is also fantastic. Quite a few things run smoother. Those are just my observations and I'm not sure whats going on with my contacts. iOS5 gets thumbs up here, excluding the hiccups I'll search for a fix/explanation for.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
My Contacts had disappeared too, but were still visible in the sms trail. Solution was to double click the home button, then kill the contacts app. Then restart it.

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
My 3GS has been running faster since my update last Thursday.....NO problems in any area.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
It works, but it lags occasionally for several seconds while the CPU tries to do stuff or when clearing ram

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Honestly, it feels like iOS 5 was made for the 3GS. I'm seeing faster speed, improved battery life, and almost no real lags anywhere. I'm not sure if it's the hardware that's just that good in the 3GS (it shares the same basic architecture as the A4 after all), or if they made the software more efficient, but wow!

Only current complaint against the 3GS is that it needs more RAM. But I guess I'll get that when I upgrade the phone.

Scartissue

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2004
pretty perfect upgrade, fixed loads of slowdown. I went from thinking that this was a time to trade up phones to feeling like I can wait a while for a new phone.

Errr standard usage is (from a full charge) sleeping with sleep cycle running, 2 hours of full volume music at the gym / walking there and back, another hour of walking to and from library, stop watch running about 6 hours while at the library, twittering when I get home and light surfing. Normally hits 10% around 6pm (taken off charge at 11, start with music around 5am).

Have gone from having it die at crucial moments to not having that problem.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
My 3GS is much better on iOS 5 than it ever was on 4. Great news! Means I can wait another year before I upgrade.

Yep, I've decided I'm going to wait too. My 3GS is fast enough for now. And iOS5 seems to have made it lot smoother than iOS4 ever was.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I'm running 5.0 on my 16GB 3GS. No problems at all, seems a little faster than 4. Battery life is fine too, down to 41% after 24 hours with just under 3 hours use.

My 3GS is a well used early one, so the battery isn't even in peak condition.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Seems faster than iOS4, and equal if not slightly better battery life.

So impressed it's put me off getting an iPhone 4S or even a cheap 4...

EJ257

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
My character count in my text messages no longer functions. I always try to avoid sending texts that are only one or two characters trailing off the 160 character limit. Now I have no way of knowing!

Are you sending messages to fellow iOS5 user? I notice if you are sending to another iOS5 device the char count is gone. If I am sending to Android or BB users the 160 counter is still there. I guess the reason for it is since iOS5 to iOS5 is free it won't matter if it has to split the message into two. I have not tested it out completely but it might look like you can get more than 160 char in a iMessage to fellow iOS5 users.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Getting very mixed feedback.

From my perspective, iOS 5 has been a blessing for my 3GS. Over the past year, or just under, my iPhone has been getting progressively getting slower. Not at a huge rate, but each 4.x.x update made it just that bit less responsive.

Everything seems more snappy now, camera loads faster and close to a 'box-fresh' 3GS I use for testing.

A happy upgrader here.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I think I might be an outlier here.

Everyone I know that has an iPhone 3GS that they upgraded to iOS 5 say that their performance is better than iOS 4 and that their battery lasts much longer too.

That's not the case for me. Ever since upgrading to iOS 5, my iPhone 3GS is noticeably slower in everyday tasks. Opening apps takes 3-5 seconds longer than they did on iOS 4.x. Having more than 5-7 apps open at a time makes the phone act like an iPhone 3G on iOS 4.x.

I used to get 6.5-7.0+ hours of usage (and days of standby at a time) on iOS 4.3.5 and now I get maybe 5 hours of usage and less than 15 hours of standby (especially since the 5.0.1 update).

What I did when I upgraded was set up as a new iPhone, then restore from my 4.3.4 backup.

That being said, I will say that animations (such as app launches, folder opening/closing, multitasking tray reveal) are VASTLY smoother than they were on iOS 4.3.x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.