iPhone 3GS and iOS 6.1.3

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by stardude67, Jun 10, 2013.

1. stardude67 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S broke and I was able to get my old 3GS up and running to use while waiting for repair parts to come in. The 3GS has been sitting in a drawer for a while and only has system 5.1. The phone is asking me if I want to upgrade to 6.1.3. I read some posts on forums from people who upgraded to that system and then couldn't use the 3G network or had battery issues. The threads I saw didn't seem to offer solutions to either problem. Is the risk of upgrading not as great as I think and should I go ahead and do the upgrade or just be happy with 5.1? If I do have battery or 3G problems, can they be fixed? I would like to upgrade if I can in case something else happens to my 4S again. AT&T won't offer me the cheap upgrade deal again until November.

I also read somewhere that you could upgrade to older systems using the proper ISPW file and Tiny Umbrella. I tried to load 6.0.1 because it appears to be the latest bug-free OS. I followed some instructions which made it sound easy, but it didn't work and there were some scary moments when I didn't think I was going to be able to get my phone out of recover mode. I'm not interested in jail breaking the phone, I just want a more recent system since some of the apps I regularly use are no longer supported on iOS 5.

Thanks for any help and info you can provide.

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Just update. You'll be fine. My 3GS ran iOS 6.1.3 perfectly.