3GS and iOS4 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sadievan, Jul 2, 2010.

1. sadievan macrumors regular

I just purchased a 3GS iphone that is running OS 3.1.3 on it. Not sure if I want to upgrade to 4 yet, but don't think I would want the 'new upgrade/fix' Apple is coming out with that would actually list my bars lower than they show now.

So my question is, can I just download iOS 4 without installing it yet in case I decide to install it later? If so how? I am new to iphone's so forgive my ignorance.

Also, anyone who is going back to their 3GS are you upgrading to 4 or keeping the old OS on there.

Thanks in advance

2. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

In reality, you don't need to download iOS 4 for future installation. You can keep your existing 3.1.3 and any time you sync with iTunes, you can always opt to check for a software update and upgrade to the most current version.

Although, please do extensive reading and research prior to switching to iOS 4. I have a 3GS and a week after installing iOS 4 on it, I've noticed a lot of SUPER ANNOYING bugs on it (screen/apps freezing, lagging camera, screen blacking out)....not sure if it's the actual device or the software that's causing it, so just try to educate yourself prior to any changes. Before the upgrade to iOS 4, not once, did I have any issues with my phone. Just purchased the iPhone 4 today, so I really can't say what my experience has been so far.

3. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up. I'm loving my 3GS. I've only had it a couple of days, but no problems so far. Am having fun with Apps and making ringtones.

I guess it doesn't take a lot to keep me amused.

4. BassetCase macrumors member

I have a 3GS and iOS4 works great on it. At first I had a battery problem but I did a restore and it fixed the issue.

5. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

Avoid ios 4.0. `its the worst piece of crap to come out of Apple in along time.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To answer the original question, this website has download locations for all released versions of iOS / iPhone firmware:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

FWIW, iOS 4.0 runs fine on my 3GS, aside from some minor slowdown in some of the more demanding games I have.... (I don't understand this whole issue of not wanting Apple's changed signal strength meter... the reception you have is the reception you have, whether you have an inaccurate reading now or a more accurate reading later. But meh.)

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Hmmm wow I find it way superior to 3.1.3. I haven't had a single problem since final release.

8. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

Issues:

Cant mms
    Lags
    Loses signal
    Randomly deletes all media off iphone
    Randomly removes all data settings
    Repeatedly requests carrier update, when update, asks again.

These issues have all been taken up with both Apple and O2. Both stated, they do not have a fix for these problems. However have had numerous users facing the same issues. But nothing has been passed down to rectify this.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Sorry for your pain but mine works great.

10. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. As far as the upgrade fix for the meter, I guess I misunderstood. If it is just as you say, just showing bars and reception actually stays what it is, it will be OK.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I should say that that's how I understand it. We'll have to wait for it to come out to know for sure.

In the meantime, you can rest easy that, barring any substantially unforeseen change in Apple's practice, all the old iPhone firmwares continue to be available to you if you want them.

12. gillybean macrumors 6502a

iOS 4 works great on my 3gs. I like the folders.

13. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

I haven't had any problems and I've had the update since it came out.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You obviously never had the 3G when it first came out.

Try using Safari on whatever iOS was on it... it reliabley crashed about every 3 pages!

Yeah, iOS4 is pretty buggy (I'd say it's the next worst one compared to the one I just complained about, but it still is a far cry from being *that* bad) but it definitely isn't the worst. It's usable though I admit I'm hoping for an update relatively soon (hopefully in the next few months). And not just for hte antenna (honestly, I don't really care about that. I want to see them refine this OS cause it seems like while it's almost there, it still needs some refinement).

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"Issues:

Cant mms
    Lags
    Loses signal
    Randomly deletes all media off iphone
    Randomly removes all data settings
    Repeatedly requests carrier update, when update, asks again.

These issues have all been taken up with both Apple and O2. Both stated, they do not have a fix for these problems. However have had numerous users facing the same issues. But nothing has been passed down to rectify this."

Not a single one of these issues on my 3gs or wife's 3g. It's been working well for both of us and I have no complaints...in fact, I find several apps a bit snappier, including the use of my camera and/or any of my "photo" apps (I have several dozen of them;)).

I am a bit leery about spending any time in line or waiting for the new iPhone though...Both of us will be upgrading, but I may wait a bit longer on the reception issue...however, from talking to several folks that have bought them in my market, they're opinion is just the opposite....they've had better reception on the '4 vs. the '3gs. We have pretty stellar service in town, and more specifically, the places I frequent...obviously, ymmv.

This is the FIRST time a project of this magnitude has presented this kind of strain on our nationwide-wireless network. Obviously, with the market penetration of the Droid, some of the strain has moved to other carriers, but in the US, the iPhone/AT&T is still a pioneering venture. It'll get better...it's gotten MUCH faster in the last 5 years, I can't believe they're slowing down anytime soon. Rest assured, the mobile/wireless world is the future and NONE of these carriers are at rest. I truly believe that is Apple were to release the restrictions on the monopolized carrier in the US, we'd see a significant difference on the current AT&T system...and other carriers that accept iPhone traffic will certainly be facing the same nightmares. That these things do half the things they do is a miracle of engineering, to me at least.

That they actually make and hold a phone call...hmmm, maybe it's become a tertiary priority (or is that an oxy-moron?):)

J